Forty-Six

I groaned and stretched. I still hadn't opened my eyes, but I could tell it was dawn. Maybe earlier? I didn't want to open my eyes, so I listened to see if anyone else was awake.

Leaves rustling. Outside chatter. A few insects buzzing near my window. But in the house? I listened closer. I heard the squeak of a floorboard, then twelve receding footsteps. I grumbled something even I didn't understand as I opened my eyes, the sunlight blinding me briefly.

I blinked a few times before sitting up. I looked out the window. The sun was just above the horizon. I sighed and got out of bed, heading towards my closet.

I opened the doors and scanned my dresses. What did I want to wear? Rose? Nah, too floral. Crimson? Too bloody! Scarlett? Too seductive. I settled on a cherry dress with some poppy-colored details. I slipped it on and brushed my hair, which took some work, and left it down. I splashed my face with water before leaving my room.

I shut my door and looked downstairs. The footsteps I heard earlier belonged to Angelica. She seemed to be the only one up, so I went downstairs. I went to her place in the living area and sat beside her in the far sofa.

"Good morning Angelica." I said, startling her. She blinked. "Oh, good morning Y/N!" She said quietly. I sighed, knowing what she was thinking. "It's only six days." I voiced. She nodded. "You chose right, letting Elizabeth be happy." I said reassuringly.

She wiped away a tear. "Sh-She asked me to be maid of honor." She murmured. Oh, that's like adding salt to the wound! But Elizabeth didn't know! "Oh Angelica." I said, hugging her. She took a shaky breath.

"I'm accepting." She said a bit loudly, like she was just making the realization. I just nodded. "Less than a week." She said to herself. She truly loved Alexander, but she loved her family more. 

She wiped away some more tears and inhaled quickly, exhaling slowly. "Hey, look on the bright side. Father will be home." I said, hoping to cheer her up. She smiled weakly and nodded.

We heard a door open and looked upstairs. Elizabeth was heading out of her room, not having seen us yet. Angelica ripped from my embrace and wiped away some tears, neatening her hair.

Elizabeth reached the bottom of the steps and met my stare. "Oh, good morning you two!" She said cheerily. "Good morning." I said. "Good morning Elizabeth." Angelica said, her voice clearer than it should be, judging by the fact that she was just crying and is heartbroken.

I could feel Elizabeth radiating happiness as she approached, sitting beside me. "You seem very happy." Angelica said. Elizabeth beamed and nodded. "Six days!!" She squealed.

I gave her a smile and she squealed again. Angelica gave a smaller smile and stood. "I'll make breakfast." She said, going to the kitchen. Elizabeth's eyes followed her as Angelica left the room. She faced me, her expression strangely grave.

"What's with Angelica?" She asked sternly. I haven't seen this side of her ever! "What do you mean?" I asked, feigning obliviousness. She glared at me. Woah, I didn't know she could glare.

"Y/N, tell me or so help me God, I will tell C/N your deepest, darkest secret." Oh no. Oh no no no. She can't! I've told no one that secret! How can she know?! "Y/N." She said sternly. I opened my mouth to speak, but then K realized something.

Angelica is giving up the love of her life for Elizabeth. Angelica is risking happiness, her happiness for the rest of her life, so Elizabeth can be happy.

"Angelica is fine." I said, my gut turning. If Angelica is risking the love of her life, so can I. Elizabeth huffed. "Your choice." She said, standing. "Where are you going?" I asked as she approached the door. She turned the knob. "You know where." And left.

I buried my face in my hands. It's so embarrassing!!

                                       * *

Elizabeth was gone for an hour. Everyone was awake now and giving me worried looks. Why? Because I am currently pacing the living area, like I have been for the past hour. I haven't even eaten.

The door suddenly opened and I raced to it. Elizabeth strut in confidently. "Did you really do it?" I hissed. She just shrugged before putting in a gentle face. How dare she!

I sighed and started toying with my hair. "Good morning everyone." Elizabeth said as she got her own food. Everyone has long since finished breakfast and were sitting in the living area, looking between my sister and I.

I stopped my pacing and just stood there, eyes glued to my sister. Did she tell C/N my darkest secret? Is she bluffing? I surveyed my sister, her dark hair. She sat with her back to me, so I couldn't read her face.

Her shoulders were a bit tense. Her shoes, which I could barely see from a slight lift at the edge of her skirts, had some dirt in them. Dirt from the yard. A bit of grass, from the yard. I examined her hair. It was perfect. Like she wasn't in a crowd. She didn't tell C/N!

I smirked proudly and sat with the rest of my family. John gave me a worried look, scooting away. I didn't blame him. I was just pacing, worrying insanely. Now I'm grinning with satisfaction.

"Y/N?" Angelica asked. I looked to her. "What are you doing?" I shrugged. "Sitting." I said briefly. She stood and grabbed my arm, wanting to talk somewhere else. I flinched and felt my heart quicken at her hand on my arm. I paralyzed from fear. "Y/N?" She asked, not removing her arm. John looked between us, his eyes landing in her hand.

"Angelica!" He said, ripping her hand from me. I exhaled, my heart still racing. I gave my brother a grateful look. "What?!" Angelica snapped. John frowned and stood, leading her away. I tenderly rubbed where her hand gripped my arm. Angelica gasped and rushed back over.

"Y/N I'm so sorry." She said quietly. Everyone was staring at us, Elizabeth included. "I'm fine Angelica, just need to get over that small fear." I said gingerly. She gave me a guilty look as I stood, asking, "You needed to speak?"