Chapter 4

I took in a deep breath, and I lied. She could not find out who I was. It would ruin everything.

"I don't know what's going on," I said. "Maybe she gave me a bad fortune just to chase us out. Fortune tellers can be temperamental."

"You've been to one before?" she asked.

"Oh. Many," I replied. "They are all frauds, but this one is merely unkind."

She smiled, beginning to brighten up. I hoped that she would believe me. In the heart of hearts, I wanted to spend more time with her, and I did not want her to think that I was some soulless fiend or immortal. She thought about it for a moment.

"All right," she said, looping her arm through mine once again, "I'm craving for some tea and dumplings. Let's eat."

The day ended with the both of us at an inn, ordering more than a dozen dumplings. We tried to see who could stuff more in our mouths at a go, much to the disgust of the other diners. I had never laughed so much and for once, the thought of returning to my job filled me with dread and despair.

As the evening wound down, I escorted her home. When the side gates were in the distance, she said, "I think we part ways here."

I bowed, as was the custom, but also to hide my sadness.

"Perhaps we can go horse riding," she mused aloud. "The very next time. Ten days from now, meet me in the Northern Forest at the same time. Do not be late."

She wanted to spend more time with me! She did not believe the fortune teller and still thought I was a mere mortal. I felt guilty for lying, and yet, there was a spark in me that danced. She wanted to be with me.

"That will be a delight, Fangyu. I take my leave of you," I said, and that was it. I watched her retreating back and she walked to the side gates. She turned around and smiled.

I tried to remember that vision of her as much as I could before going back to perform my duties. For the first time that day, I checked my scroll that was attached to me. Back in the marketplace, someone had died, and it was just as well, anyway. I marvelled at the coincidence, and I found myself appearing in front of the fortune teller's to see Madam Yuan's attendant on the floor. He had been clutching his heart. His soul stood above his body, mourning, but Madam Yuan, who was standing above him, showed no emotion.

"I was expecting you today, at this time," she said. "Not with that mortal, of course."

Madam Yuan could see me! I was taken aback, but I tried not to show it.

"It is common for a fortune teller to say something like this," I said, not mincing my words.

"You should not have been with the mortal girl," Madam Yuan warned. "You know it is against fate."

"And who are you to say this to me? You are nothing when it comes to fate or destiny." I was quite affronted. She had the audacity to speak to me this way.

"I am but a mere mortal, yes. But trying to ingratiate your fate with hers will only bring doom."

I felt anger course through my entire being. I could take this sort of criticism from my colleagues, yes. But she was a mere mortal, speaking like that to one of us gods. How dare she. I would look up her records in the bowels of hell when I returned.

"You will regret what you have said today, Madam Yuan," I warned. I had almost forgotten that her assistant's soul was there. "The guards of the Underworld do not take disrespect lightly."

She scoffed.

"Come. I shall escort you now," I said to her attendant, and he looked at me, confused.