Chapter IV | You're My Home

枯れた根が成長し始めたと感じると、いつも驚きます。

In the music business, there are always demands for an album release. And under a contract signed by you... they have the right to demand. And if you don't grant their wish... you're out.

Kousei was feeling pressured here and there. He couldn't write a single piano piece all by himself, and even with the help from Tsubaki, there was no driving force to assimilate new concepts

Kousei felt loaded guns pointed at his face, as if one mistake could trigger a massive shootout. Tsubaki doesn't even need to be involved at his situation, but she felt pressure as well, assuming that she'd also be a victim.

"Oh man... if this was all about producing karaoke songs, this could have been easy." Kousei complained.

He tried letting his hands loose on the piano, as if letting go of his control and let his hands dance all over to create a kind of melody that he can base his songs on.

"Geez... would people even listen to these songs? Do people even listen to classical music nowadays?" Kousei kept complaining, note after note that he writes.

"Hmm... Kousei, you need to ease off the pressure for a bit. Why don't you go for a walk outside the studio for a bit. Security will let you off for a bit, then from there, you can think of notes... and melodies!" Tsubaki suggested.

"Yeah... I suppose you're right. Are you gonna come with me?" Kousei asked her.

"Nah, I think I should stay here." Tsubaki clarified.

Kousei then crossed his arms and rubbed both of his hands as if he was feeling cold. He then exited the recording facility, and walked on the pavement.

He then found a café where he could relax and let off some steam. He sat down on a table, where he pulled off his notebook and his pen.

As he was writing doodles, a stranger beside his table called him. "Psst... hey!"

Kousei turned his head on the guy. "Hmm? C- Can I help you?"

"You're from that Japanese competition, right? 'Heard that you signed with Parlogram... the guys from up there are freaky. Wouldn't wanna mess with them tho'" The stranger said.

Kousei kept nodding at the person's remarks, then asked. "I'm sorry... who are you?"

The man then gave his hand to Kousei. "Oh it's Bill, Bill Martin. And you must be Kousei Arima. You're from that competition, with complex tempos and all that crap."

"Oh yeah... everyone only knew me because of that. I didn't realize that I would make it this far." Kousei replied.

"I once worked for Parlogram. They gave me a bloke for a manager. I sold out 2 albums... he got all my profit and returned me nothing. I swear it can be a bust with them sometimes." Bill then took a sip of his coffee.

"What happened to you, then?" Kousei questioned.

"Well... we settled it to the court, and I won. Millions of dollars... all were returned to me. And my manager? He's gone for good... how's your manager anyway?" Bill asked after he said what happened.

"I really don't have a real manager... besides for a financial one. I do not know any person who manages my tours and everything... my friend helps me with producing songs... but she'll never have her name written in the album." Kousei said.

"Yo, what the heck? Was there a clause on the album contract where your friend isn't gonna be credited on the liner notes?" Bill asked... calmly.

"Well... no. But there was just a meeting in between the sound engineers and agents. There were no contracts involved." Kousei explained further.

"No contracts? So you were only under their control to pump out songs for their profit? Cut the crap, geez. That's like the worst thing I've heard in my entire life. I'm surprised you took it!" Bill blew out his frustrations towards him.

"W- Wait... does that mean that I can do whatever I want, as long as I can make songs?" Kousei saw an opening thread.

"Absolutely 1000 percent! You can honestly experiment with sounds and all that stuff, but always remember your deadline." Bill confirmed.

"Oh man, the pressure! I was trying to create a classical album, but I can't even with my hand movements-" Kousei kept complaining about his empty mind.

"You know... everyone don't listen to classical piece anymore. Well some, but the majority mostly prefer modern sound. Your album has to have a mix of all genres if it's possible. It's okay to express your emotions, or express your feelings for someone you truly love through music. If you're out of ideas, then go find some more. That's all there is to it." Bill told Kousei.

"I- It's okay to be... an expressionist?" Kousei stuttered.

"Precisely. I mean all musicians like us tend to express their feelings in their own ways. A strategy, if you know what I mean." Bill added.

Kousei looked at both of his hands, as he realized that he has a lot of work to do. But he has learned enough now to finish the album all at once.

"T- Thank you, Mr... Bill Martin!" Kousei bowed down to him.

"Heheh. Just call me Bill. Oh hey, I also am a musician of Parlogram, so maybe we can do a collab at some point in the future?" He said, as he handed over his business card to Kousei.

"I... We will!" Kousei bowed down again, but it was so aggressive that he hit the table without even realizing it.

"Easy on your energy. You need a lot of that for your music!" Bill commented sarcastically.

Kousei thanked him again as he walked out of the café, ready to begin his album.

As he returned to his recording booth, Tsubaki was writing him phrases that he could use for his project.

"K- Kousei! You're back already... how's your brain?" Tsubaki asked.

"I- I think I'm ready! And we're going to be needing a lot of time." Kousei said.

And so, days of recording has begun.

Kousei Arima. Oh man, what a lucky soul you are. You know a few things that professionals seem to not mind to know. For a boy who rose to fame because of his mistake, he sure has a lot of potential. I'm honoured to have met this man.

Kousei put out his heart and soul into the project he was working on. He referenced bits of his childhood, but his feelings towards the people he met were prominent.

But most of all, he did not forget about the girl who brought him into freedom. Someone he silently cared for, but failed to admit something when it was all too late.

...

Alright, everyone. Umm... this song is about the person whom I adored so much... umm... she was energetic, she plays the violin. But sadly... she passed away. It was a tragic thing for me, 'cause I didn't even said to her that I love her.

This song is from an album called "Sakura Fields", it's called...

You're My Home.

...

to be continued.