Chapter V | The Ballad of Billy the Kid

彼の大胆な犯罪生活は、彼を当時の伝説にしました。

A string ensemble started playing in the background of the arena, then the audiences soon started cheering. As it ceased playing, a melody of a lower-octave piano began. Imitation of horse steps can be heard playing.

After a few beats, harmonicas soon started doing their solos. The notes were as perfect as this night... Kousei's first arena concert.

It has been three years since he signed with Parlogram. He renewed his contract with them for a provisional term of two more albums.

"I can do this. I've been doing gigs for a long time now. I can do this..." Kousei said to himself as he was about to land a blow after a sudden decrescendo.

As he hit the sudden blow, his crowd started cheering. Then, he sang his first few words.

He danced all throughout the concert, as if he owned the stage and nobody else. 

His piano was melodically loud enough to be heard more than the backing instruments, as he played every keys there.

His backing band seemed to be tired of keeping up with his innate tempo, but they still kept on track. Their saxophone player enjoyed the whole show, blowing on his instrument as Kousei bashed on his piano like a maniac.

Their drummer is used to faster-tempo music, so playing throughout the concert was no big deal for him.

Their lead guitarist and rhythm guitarist, all were slowly slicing the skin and nail off their fingers because of the speedy and aggressive strums.

The song they were playing was so rhythmic that the audience, instead of cheering, were dancing on their feet. This continued for almost two hours of nonstop entertainment.

At the end of his concert, Kousei hands were partially bleeding and his body was all but sore. He looked like he couldn't walk from his own entertainment, but he was damn full of energy. He was met with Tsubaki, who was thrilled by his performance.

"Kousei!! I didn't know you could play that wild! Where did that come from? You clearly abused that piano." Tsubaki said while wiping the sweat all over his face.

"I don't know... but... when I got up on a stage like that... I got that energy that I never got before..." Kousei kept panting and catching his breath.

"Whoa! That's so amazing! I wish I could have that feeling when I play softball next time. Our next game's like... tomorrow." Tsubaki said.

"Wait... TOMORROW? Man, you could've told me!" Kousei was surprised.

"Huh? Why? I mean it's not a big deal, I could just fly back to Japan later and all will be fine." She reassured.

"No, Tsubaki... it's not that... I wanna see your game." Kousei said, which made her blush.

"Y- You do? But... you do have a pretty hefty schedule, so... I don't think you can't come back with me." She muttered.

"Uhh... I hate to tell you this, but... I kinda requested to our managers to reschedule my tours for some other time. I said to them that I'm gonna feel sore, but the truth is... I just really wanna see you." He smiled when he said those words.

"You did?? But those tours are important to you! More than mine! You have to keep on moving forward, for Kaori!" Tsubaki tried to convince him to not come, but he did not hesitate.