Chapter 5: Stained Snow

The results of Cold Week were better than years before, in that fewer Huntsmen dropped out, but I didn't take comfort or joy in knowing that. There was a realization that pecked at every thought I had in the days that followed. I couldn't choose to be blind and ignore how the cold reawakened me, making me face the fact that I had grown too comfortable at the academy. A discussion was had with Winter when she noticed during training that I was distracted.

"So the warmth of being indoors is bothering you." Winter paced around in front of me as she spoke. "I believe I can see why it would be distracting you, but it's foolish to linger on it." She stopped and pointed her saber. "You made it through Cold Week, you can make it again through the cold."

I resisted dropping the topic, "That's the issue, being used to the cold isn't just about making it, it's about being from Mantle."

Winter continued to enforce her perspective, "Just because you are no longer used to the cold doesn't mean you are no longer from Mantle. That's the same as saying a person isn't from Vacuo if they can no longer stand the heat."

"Sure, but what happens when I start losing more of that? Being able to play on the icy streets, eating meals with poor ingredients, treating hot water as a luxury." My mind slowly started to drift to memories, to the point I didn't notice Winter holding my shoulder.

Winter, almost enviously, declared, "It sounds like your homesick and worried that things won't be the same when you return."

"I would be more worried if they were the same." Winter looked at me curiously. "What I mean is, things could be better, but I'm not sure what better is. Being used to the cold makes warmth a pleasure, but being constantly warm, that just makes the cold a punishment."

"I see." She removed her hand. "Do you know the first time I experienced the cold? It was the first time I saw snow and snuck out to play with it barehanded." She looked at her empty hand, flexing her fingers. "I can still remember the sting of the frostbite."

"It's a sting that stays there for a long time, like many other things." I lamented as Winter finally put her saber away on her hip.

"I will speak with Ironwood about it later. Why don't you and Neon Katt take a trip to Mantle tomorrow?" Winter suggested, oddly thoughtful to my feelings.

Since she was the one suggesting it I didn't miss the chance for the free day. Neon, who was forced by Winter to study in the library today, has been an interesting development in terms of relationships. I've never had a girlfriend before, nor pursued that kind of relationship, but I do think our friendship is a good foundation for something more. That is if she's interested.

It's rather hard to tell when Neon is serious, thanks to her never acting seriously. She doesn't even study seriously. After walking around the rather large library, I found her seated backward and leaning her chair's back against the table, listening to music and bopping her head to the beat as she took notes from the books on the table. Notes filled with doddles. I took the seat next to her and knocked on the table.

"Huh?" Neon looked over then quickly took her headphones off. "(F/N), what's up? Weren't you and Winter training today?"

"She's giving me a break today and for that matter, she's giving us the day off tomorrow to visit Mantle. If you're interested."

"Of course I'm interested." She said with an excited expression and voice.

"What if it was a date and not just hanging out?" Neon looked at me confused, she titled her head. For a moment I thought she was going to turn down the idea.

"Isn't that what Winter was suggesting?"

"I'll take that as a yes." I laughed once and shook my head. "I honestly didn't think getting a girlfriend was this easy."