53

"Beautiful?" I called out, walking carefully in the living room. "Where could she be?" I smiled to myself. Giggles came from behind the curtain making me smile even more at the beautiful sound.

"There she is." I said as I grabbed my little girl from her hiding place. Mika squealed and laughed as I kissed her cheek, holding her in my arms.

"Daddy no." Mika giggled. The so familiar sound bringing a smile to my face but also pain. Pain because it's the laugh my mate used to have, that distinct sound belonging to her, but a smile because I now get to hear it again.

Three years ago I had found ways to cope with loss of a loved one. Some helped, some didn't. But after two weeks, I was able to get my daughter back. Ever since we've been inseparable. She is the light after what happened to Tate, Mika showed me how to smile again and that it wasn't all bad. She showed me I could do this, I could raise her like I would do with Tate.

When I had seen her again for the first time in ages, Mika had smiled at me. I picked her up where she said her first word.

After two weeks of figuring out how to cope with the loss of Tate, I was able to get off my feet and do some stuff. I had taken work off Elias, Eli and Ryan. Elias was willing to help but needed some time not wanting to remember the pain of being alpha from when he was.

When I went to bed, Darius and I weren't feeling great, still missing the warmth of our mate. But in the morning I felt like I could do more. I got up, showered, ate breakfast and did a border check. The warriors there were happy to see me as well as Ryan, on patrol at the east border.

After that, I went to see mama and my little girl. It was time and she needs a father not her grandfathers or aunt and uncles. When I got there, I gave mama a long hug, not saying anything just embracing his warmth like I did when I was a baby.

Then I saw her. Sat on Kolby's lap was my pup. Just like Ryan had said, she did get big yet she's so small like her mum. Tears glossed my eyes as I took her into my arms. A little giggle sounding from her making me smile through my tears from how it sounded so much like my passed mate.

I pulled Mika from my chest and looked at her. Just like her mum, from her hair to her toes. Everything she got from Tate. That girl owes me, she thought we'd have a boy and here I am holding our precious little girl.

"Dada." Mika giggled. Mama gasped and cheered making me even more confused.

"She said her first word." He cheered with a huge smile along with my pup.

"Her first word." I smiled looking down at the small body in my arms. "Now we just have to get mama." Referring to Tate.

"Daddy." Mika pulled me from my thoughts. Her small hand on my cheek wiping the tears away. When did I start crying?

"Why is you crying daddy?" She whispered. Tears formed in her eyes, falling down her soft cheeks.

"Nothing beautiful. Daddy's just thinking. Why are you crying?" I smiled a little and wiped her tears like she did with me.

"C-cos I no like daddy sad. And when daddy sad I sad." She told me.

"I'm fine. Daddy's just thinking." I said.

"About mummy?" She asked.

"Partly. Daddy was just thinking of when you said your first word. He was really happy back then."

"You no happy now daddy?" Mika asked.

"I'm really happy now. Especially since I have you with me." I smiled and kissed her cheek.

"We go flowers for mummy?" She questioned.

"If you want to baby girl. We have to today, it's special for her. It's mummy's birthday."

"I know. Mummy says happy birthday and we get flowers." She smiled widely.

"When does mummy say happy birthday?" I asked with a small frown.

"On my birthday. She say happy birthday baby girl and kisses my face. Mummy very pretty." My daughter tells me.

"She does, does she? Does mummy sing to you like daddy does so you sleep?"

"Yep." Mika nods. "Mummy brush my hair to like this." She grabs my hand and runs it through her soft hair like I used to do with Tate.

"Come on beautiful. Let's get flowers for mummy." I changed the subject.

Mika dreams about Tate a lot. She sees the pictures in this house and the family house so she knows what Tate looks like. It was only a year ago Mika asked where her mum was. It broke me but I thought of the answer and she gladly took it.

"Daddy, where's mummy?" Mika asked me.

"She's." I started taking a deep breath. "Mummy is somewhere special. She's with the moon goddess looking over us so we're safe." I told her thinking of the best way to tell a two year old that her mum died.

"Why was she needed?"

"I'm not sure. It was top secret that mummy and the moon goddess only knows. But she looks down on us, giving us all her love as much as she can." I told her trying not to cry.

Mika and I walk up to Tate's grave sitting on the grass. Mika sat between my legs just looking at the name. I never got to marry Tate but I knew she'd want my name on her stone so Mika knew we all have the same name. Tate smith.

"Wanna lay the flowers beautiful?" I asked my daughter.

"Mummy like them?" She looked up at me.

"Mummy does. It's her favourite flower." I smiled softly. Tulips were Tate's favourite flowers, I don't know what she liked about them, she just did. Mika nodded and got up, doing her little waddle to the grave stone. She kissed the small picture of Tate and laid the bouquet of tulips against the stone. I stood up and went next to Mika who just looked at the stone sadly.

"Can we have her back?" Mika looked up at me sadly.

My heart broke at the sight of my crying daughter. She's heard so many stories about her mum and feels that mother-daughter connection. I know Mika wants to meet Tate, and I wish so much she could but I know that's not possible.

"Maybe one day beautiful. One day." I sighed with a small smile. I didn't want to get her hopes up, but I don't want to lie to her either. Maybe with that answer she grow up with it, and then she'll know death is a permanent thing.

Fuck, I don't want Mika to grow up knowing death is forever. But I know it will come and it'll break her heart.

"One day." She whispered.

"One day beautiful. Daddy and mummy love you though. So, so much." I kneeled down to her height.

"I love mummy and daddy to." Mika smiled sadly, but I knew her love for both me and her mum was strong. Just like Tate,

And so much like herself.

A/N: Hi, thanks for reading.

I've started Ryan and Eli's story and having trouble figuring out a name for it. If anyone has one in mind that I could use that would be most appreciated because let's face it, my brain doesn't want to work. *sigh*

Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter. One part left which is the epilogue, I'm so sad 😭. I really don't want this book to end but I know I can't go on with it.
Thank you so much for reading, don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts.