Chapter 12

I run my hot pink straightener through my hair one last time before turning it off and setting it down on my dresser. I look in the mirror and take in my appearance. My blonde hair touches the tops of the pockets of my dark blue jeans and for the first time, I consider cutting it. My makeup is a bit heavy for my liking but goes perfectly with my black lace bodysuit that looks more like lingerie. I step into a pair of black wedges and yank the strap over my heel.

"Perfect," I whisper to myself.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and let out a sigh. Bryce is home tonight, taking care of Layla. I said I was helping my Grandma clean out her storage bins in the downstairs closet.

I should've told Bryce about this party. I text him to check in real quick.

Hey

Hey

How's it going with Layla?

What?

Oh right. She's fine.

That was weird.

Good I'm glad. I'll talk to you tomorrow?

Yeah

"You ready?" Cassie invites herself into my room.

"How did you get in my house?"

"I opened the front door and walked in."

"Why am I not surprised? Yes, I'm ready."

"No, you're not. You need jewelry."

"I don't like jewelry." I roll my eyes.

"Well, you need it. You're newly single and I'm gonna get you laid tonight."

This wouldn't be an issue if you'd tell her about Bryce.

"Put this on." She hands me a silver necklace with a simple heart charm before handing me a silver ring with my birthstone, emerald, inside a heart. "And this."

"Am I ready now?"

"You need earrings."

"Pass."

"Nope. Put these on."

I take the simple diamond studs from her and push them through my earlobes.

"Perfect. Let's go."

I follow her out of my room and down the hallway. Her bodysuit is identical to mine, sparing the colors. We bought them together the weekend after junior prom, black for me and red for her. Her black jeans and heels go perfectly with it.

We hop in her gray sedan and she's definitely speeding.

"What's the rush?" I laugh.

"We have to make a pit stop before the party."

"To where?"

"Photoshoot for social media."

Of course.

"Where are we taking pictures?" I ask.

"You'll see."

I scroll through social media and see several other girls had the same idea. There's no shortage of skanks on the internet.

"Are we going to the waterfront?" I ask.

"Like the rest of the basic bitches? I don't think so. Just be patient."

I let out a sigh and scroll through the rest of the photos. Every girl really does use the waterfront for their pictures. One photo in particular catches my eye, a post made by Sadie Adams.