Chapter 14

My phone buzzes in the pocket of my sweatpants and I pull it out to see a text from Bryce.

You going to that pool party at Grandma Peggy's later?

That's today?

Yes lol how did you forget and I remembered

I have no idea. I'll be there tho

"Mom!" I call from my spot on the couch.

"What?" she yells back from the kitchen.

"Grandma Peggy's pool party is today?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks for the reminder."

"I didn't know you'd need one." She laughs. "Did you have other plans?"

"No, but I could've made some."

"But you didn't."

"But I could've."

"And it wouldn't have mattered. You would've made plans with either Cassie or Bryce and they're both going. You would've had to change the location and that's it."

I roll my eyes. "What time does it start?"

"Two."

"But it's already one!"

"Oh, good, you learned how to tell time."

"Mom!" I roll my eyes.

"How much time do you really need to get ready?"

"A lot, actually. I have to shower and pick out a bathing suit and an outfit and pack a change of clothes."

"But you don't have to do your hair or makeup."

"I need to get moving." I ignore her and get up from the couch.

What do I want to wear?

I walk into my room and open the drawer of my dresser that holds my shorts. Black shorts don't feel like they fit the vibe of one of Grandma Peggy's pool parties so I dig through my blue ones. I pull out a cute pair of dark blue ones that have a line of buttons instead of a zipper and hold them up next to a light blue pair with some rips on them. The light blue ones have a looser fit which is probably the better choice since I'll be wearing them over a bathing suit. I put the dark blue ones away and open my drawer of tank tops. I pull out a yellow tank top with a pretty low cut v-neck and hold it next to the shorts. Perfect. I open the drawer that holds my bathing suits and start digging through my bikinis. There's gonna be kids around so I need something with some decent coverage.

That gets rid of about three-quarters of my options.

I pull out a solid red strapless top with matching red bottoms and a turquoise and black triangle top with solid black bottoms. After spending close to three minutes comparing them and weighing the coverage options, I settle on the turquoise and black one. I gather both pieces of the suit along with my outfit and head into the bathroom so I can shower.

A towel might help.

I grab a light pink towel and start the shower so the water can warm up while I get undressed.

After taking the fastest shower of my life, my legs are shaved and my hair is washed. I quickly dry off and slip on my bikini.

Something about putting on a bathing suit right after a shower instead of underwear will always feel wrong to me.

I pull my shorts over the bottoms and slide my tank top on over my head. Once I've gathered my dirty clothes and used towels, I leave the bathroom and head back to my bedroom. I toss my clothes and towel into my hamper and plug in my blow dryer. Blow drying my hair has never been one of my favorite things so I dry it just enough to toss it up in a messy bun. I grab a pair of black leggings and a loose, white cropped t-shirt and stuff them into the light blue tote bag Mom and I always use for Grandma Peggy's pool parties before adding a bra and underwear to the bag.