𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

Burying my head in my hands, I express my distress to Ayame. He seemed like the more sympathetic person to go to help for over Shigure. Probably if I had gone to Shigure, he'd accuse me of being in love with Hatori.

"I honestly haven't the slightest clue what I'm supposed to do, Ayame! The last time I tried to set out to apologize to him, I ended up screaming at him!" I whine as Mine hands me a cup of tea. "Thanks, Mine."

"Don't worry about it, hun! Just happy to help!" Ayame's most peculiar assistant, a perky black-haired young woman, Mine, is such an intriguing person, but I don't even know what intrigues me to her! "I'll go get some desserts from the nearby cafe and let the two of you talk!"

"I like her. She's fun." I comment after she leaves.

"Really? You do! That's just wonderful! Mine is like the heart that pumps blood for my poor weary body!" Ayame gushes, dramatically flopping onto the couch next to me. "As for you and Hatori, Yui-chan, you need to be sympathetic towards the poor man! He's gone through a lot."

"I can't manage to muster sympathy when it means I have to be sympathetic towards her." I groan.

"Well, sadly for you, my dear Yui-chan, as of now Hatori and Kana are still a two-pack if you know what I mean. He cares about her and defends her no matter what. If you can't get over your hatred of Kana, you'll never be able to rekindle your's and Tori-chan's relationship!" He explains, with the most dramatic hand-motions.

"I wish it wasn't so hard for me to put up with Kana. But nothing in my mind, body, or soul obliges me to care for her or about her. She's like a ghost. No one in their right mind cares for a ghost."

"Now, between the two of us," he glances around as if someone else was in our presence. "I always viewed Kana as a parasite. She was often clinging to Tori-chan, Mayu, and others. She wasn't very independent. Honestly, I was shocked when I found out she planned on being a doctor."

"Ayame, if you're telling me this to make me feel better, it's not helping. If anything, it makes the kinder side of me want to pity Kana and her weakness." I sigh.

"So... Pity her. If you can understand the pain Kana went through, then you're one step closer to understanding Hatori. However, if you need help, I'd say you go to Gure-nii." His words feel like poison in my heart. I've never been someone to give pity easily, not even to myself. The most I gave to anyone was my mother.

"I'm sorry, Ayame. But my pity abilities are next to nothing." I stand up from the couch. "Thank you for your advice, but I'm going to speak to Shigure before I do anything like that."

"Well, I wish I could have given you more advice on the situation, my dear. But my strengths are those of the ways of the heart! What one most desires in romance and passion!" It looks like it doesn't take much to get him back to his perky self.

"Thank you, once again, Ayame. And tell Mine that I'm sorry I couldn't stay for tea and dessert. I'll make it up to the two of you, somehow." Ayame gives me a quick kiss on the hand and wishes me well.

With his kind words and my still heavy heart, I set off for Shigure's.