Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"Romy, open the door!" Remus had been sitting outside her flat for the last four hours, with Moony sitting at his feet and he had even brought a bouquet of flowers and chocolates as a peace offering. He had a reason as to why he had been away and she had to listen to him because it was important, she was the reason he had been away.

Had it not been for her, Remus would be an entirely different man.

She was crying on the other end, if not for the fact she felt alone for the fact she felt guilty for snapping at him in the first place. She wanted to face him, but she didn't know how he was her best friend and she screamed in his face and now he sat there for four hours and it was entirely her fault.

She felt horrible.

She couldn't look him in the eye, so she slowly and silently grabbed the keys from the counter. Her door key was hooked to a keyring and she unclipped it and slid it under the door. Remus's pleads stopped and she ran back to the sofa, her blanket thrown over her to hide her face from his sad eyes.

The door unlocked soon after, and the faint patter of Moony's paws sounded on the wooden floor and up to the couch where Romy resided. He curled himself between her legs, and she wondered what she did without that dog in her life. It was her favourite.

"I'm sorry, Romy," said Remus. He sat on the edge of the sofa at her head, "the reason I was gone was because of you."

Her tears fell harder, and the blanket fell from her head to reveal her sad state, "you left because of me?!"

His eyes had widened, and he furiously shook his head, "no...no, no, no Romy not like that. It was a good thing, I promise. Just-"

He stopped himself short, kneeling in front of her. His face seemed fuller like he had more life to him, and it was nice of her to see him like that. She felt happy for him, it was a nice sight to see him look less tired and less run down.

She watched him dig into his pockets for something, she wasn't sure what it was at first until a small crumpled up piece of parchment paper came into view. Just the sight of parchment paper brought back so many memories of school, for so long she didn't even feel like a wizard anymore. Just an ordinary muggle with an ordinary life.

"I was somewhere I never thought I could be again," he said, his hand taking hers, "I swore off the wizarding world much like you did. You know this. I never thought I would heal enough to face the pain that the wizarding world brought me. Pain is all I've known for the past few years until I met you, Romy. I realised that maybe the pain isn't all my life has to be, I realised that maybe...just maybe I could truly be happy again.

I didn't trust the world...how could I? my best friends died at the hands of a man who thought he was owed something; thought he could change our world. My other best friend or ex-best friend is in Azkaban for their deaths, because of his sick betrayal.

Well...it wasn't until I met you, Romy, that I thought I could go back to the world that rid me of those people. I thought I was done with that pain, but I realised just very recently that if I have you in my life as my best friend then I can do anything.

You have shown me what it's like to be happy in a world that seemed to wish for my demise, and for that, Romy I will always be grateful." He kissed her forehead and used his thumb to wipe her tears. She was sitting up now, a blanket draped loosely over her shoulders and Moony had nuzzled his way into her lap, happy to be there with her petting him.

"How does that explain you leaving?" she asked, touched at his words. Remus truly was like her family; he was all she had left.

"Well, it doesn't. I just...well, I got a letter two weeks ago." He gestured to the parchment paper still in his hand opposite of the one he used to hold hers, "I have been getting these letters every few months, and every time I ignore them. They meant nothing to me, and I didn't care about them. They're from Dumbledore"

He opened up the parchment, "Read it."

She took the letter from his grip, straightening it out so she could read the words.

Dear Remus,

I hope this letter finds you well.

I understand you have not responded to my previous letters, but I hope in recent times, you manage to find some strength to respond. I have not heard of you lately, the last I had been told it was as though you had left the Wizarding World for good.

I hope this is not true, you were a very gifted student and I know Miss Evans would not be happy to know that you have left. Do not think I do not recall our last conversation in my office Remus, but I can assure you that I have kept tabs on the boy, and he is okay.

I hope that you read this letter and remember that the Wizarding World and Hogwarts is still your home, you have not been forgotten here. Professor McGonagall misses you and your band of Marauders, but I don't think she would admit to that.

This letter has a purpose, I would like you to come visit me. I am always at the Castle and the doors are always open to you but please respond to this letter if the opportunity to visit arises. We have some matters to discuss, and I would like to discuss them in person.

I understand that it may be too soon for such things, Remus, but I hope you will dwell on my offer. The Wizarding World needs you back.

Kindly

Professor Dumbledore

"Oh...wow," said Romy, her eyes scanning over the letter once more, "who is...the boy?"

Remus sighed, his heart and eyes dropping, "Harry."

She gestured for him to continue, putting the letter back into Remus' pocket, "Harry Potter, Lily and James' boy. They died to protect him, he lives with his Aunt and Uncle somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Dumbledore does not let me know his whereabouts, he knows that if I know where he lives well...I would go and get him."

"Really?" asked Romy, pulling on Remus' arm so he would sit with her, "why? He is safe, isn't he?"

"Well, Dumbledore assures me that he is...but I know what the relationship between Lily and her sister was like. It wasn't good, believe me. Lily and I were true siblings, I know everything about her sister, and I don't like what I know." His head fell back on the sofa, and Moony had draped himself over the two of them.

"That is beside the point, if I speak of Harry I won't stop. The boy was the most wonderful baby, he was the main source of our happiness in the darkest times during the war." He had the ghost of a smile written across his lips, "I went to visit him, Romy."

She straightened herself up, "you went back to Hogwarts?!"

"Yes, and I would have never even attempted to do that if it weren't for you. I feel like you have helped me realise that I want my world back, and that world involves you." He squeezed her hand.

"What happened?!" she asked, "what did he want to discuss?!"

"He offered me a job," he turned to look at her, "and he offered you one too."