Chapter Fourteen

A/N - sorry this author's note will likely be long so feel free to skip it. I logged back into wattpad not so long ago, idk why but I think I was curious to see how my books etc were doing. It's def a part of my life that is in the past, but I have been thinking about writing for a while, it's a hobby I left behind when I stopped properly writing fics even though it was a favourite hobby.

Anyway, I had a few comments on this book recently and it prompted me to read the entire book from the beginning. I like this book because the characters aren't teenagers, they're adults navigating their 20s (which I am currently trying to do lol). It seemed like a good book to get back into writing because although it is still a fic, I have free power to do what I want w/ it (and I have a special place in my heart for Remus Lupin)

Idk if I will finish this book but for some reason, I have inspiration to finish it and I have a plot in my head which hasn't happened in a long time. Anyways, I don't think I have written anything in like 2+ years so I am def rusty. Enjoy this new chapter tho! Thanks for the luv

Chapter Fourteen

Romy woke with a heaviness on her chest. Her head was pounding from the events of the previous night and her sobs at the recollection of her parents. The heaviness on her chest was not due to her sadness, or any pain. In fact, the heaviness was welcoming, as was the softness of the large ball of fur that had decided the best place to sleep was physically on her.

The events of the previous night were fresh in Romy's head, painful yet bittersweet. Remus and Moony had stayed the night, partly due to Romy not wanting to be alone and partly because they spoke well into the early hours of the morning. She couldn't help but wonder about Remus and his offer.

Professor? Could she really take Remus- No, Dumbledore up on that offer?

The idea of leaving the ordinary behind, leaving the routine she carefully curated for herself and finding a way back to the wizarding world seemed so impossible. Then again, the idea that she would ever consider Remus Lupin her best friend, of all people, seemed so impossible mere months ago. It was something that never crossed her mind, how could it?

So many thoughts seemed to come and go from her mind. How could she be expected to teach students when she hadn't picked up a wand in so long? Why did Dumbledore trust her? Did he only trust that she could because Remus vouched for her?

"You seem very focused for so early in the morning," said Remus, groggily, pulling Romy from her racing thoughts. Romy didn't even realise that he was awake, and she certainly didn't notice that he had been staring at her for the past five minutes.

"Morning," she sighed, rubbing her eyes, and then lazily allowing her hands to fall into Moony's fur. He would make an excellent therapy dog, "I'm thinking about Dumbledore's offer."

"Does that mean you're considering it?" Asked Remus, his tired demeanour changing. He had a hopeful look on his face and Romy knew that Remus really wanted this. There were so many things to consider, the idea of leaving her entire life behind seemed terrifying. She did it once before, though.

"I don't know." She truly didn't know, "How long have I got to think about this?"

"Technically, a few weeks," Remus trailed off after the panic returned to Romy's face, "but the school year has already started. We would be starting as professors next September."

Everything Remus said made the gears in Romy's mind turn more. This means she had until next September to pluck up the courage and pick up her wand. She could travel, if she wanted to. Of course, to travel, you need money. She couldn't say she had a lot of that.

Regardless, the idea was becoming a feature that her mind didn't want to let go of. She really couldn't just say yes and leave her life so suddenly. Yes, she had done something like this before but that doesn't mean she could just up and leave once again. Her routine kept her sane, and again, yes, Remus had come in and partly ruined her routine.