5: Incentives

A/N - This chapter is dedicated to @/ClandestineCat from Archive of Our Own for absolutely making me cry like a baby with their comment. So far, you've been the only one who hit the target when it came to my portrayal of Naruto and how I write his character. In your words:

"...it seems to me like your own past negative experiences with writing this lovely fic have reflected in your writing of Naruto himself. Just as Naruto is using the hatred he receives to better himself within your story, you seem just as determined to write him a story he deserves, and you obviously think you've improved since your time off".

Every time I read it, I start to tear up again and again and again. I'm so grateful and happy to have readers like you. Thank you for being there for me and my many hiatus' and unexplained absences in the past. I will never be able to express my gratefulness to you @/ClandestineCat as well as all you readers who've been with me since the beginning and for those that have just joined the ride. Thank you <3

Naruto paused, arms outstretched in front of him as he braced for impact. He had, unfortunately, lost his concentration and was now falling back to the ground. Sure, the pain his back would feel would be something he'd feel for days, but he had done it. For just a brief moment, he'd finally reached the top of that damn tree!

At the last moment, the blond-haired boy had covered his head, protecting it as he finally hit the ground. Naruto let out a loud groan, rolling around for a moment as he recollected himself before sitting up and looking over at the dozing Nara, "Did you see me, Shikamaru?!"

"Uh-huh..." The other boy grumbled out, eyes drooping as he stared up at the clouds forming above them. It would probably rain tomorrow, he suspected.

He pouted, rolling his blue eyes before grabbing at his head in pain. "You know," Naruto started, "you could act a little excited."

"I will... when you can actually sit on that top tree limb by only walking up it, not running." Shikamaru peeked an eye open, lazily pointing at the abused tree, "Plus, look at it. You've practically burned the soles of your shoes into the trunk. You're still pushing out too much chakra when you run up the tree."

"But-"

"Lessen the amount a little bit more and you should be able to walk up the tree with no problem." He finished, not even catching the start of the other boy's sentence.

Naruto grit his teeth before taking a deep breath. There was a familiar feeling of failure starting to creep up at the back of his mind. "Shikamaru?" He started again.

"Hm?"

"Look at me real quick."

The black-haired boy lifted his head a little, propping his upper body up with his elbows, giving the other boy his attention. "What?" He blinked slowly, a little annoyed.

"Can you please help me? I can't do it..." Naruto asked quietly, glancing away before he could gauge his friend's facial response. His whole posture spoke volumes, hunched over with a sad gleam over his face, a defeated look in his sky blue eyes. "I guess I'm just jealous..." He admitted with surprising honesty, "You had only looked at the book for like, a second or something - but you were just magically able to do it! You keep giving these helpful tips but I can't do it."

Shikamaru stopped, paused, and really looked at the boy sitting across from himself. The poor tree that had been abused by the blond's chakra control exercises simply outlined his shrunken body, as if continuing to torture Naruto in his inability. "Look," The Nara heir began, sighing to himself, "The only reason I was able to do it was because I had been given lessons on chakra control before I even got into the academy. My old man taught me the basics of it, just enough so that I could use our clan jutsus. Most of the heirs in Konoha have probably been taught the same if I had to be honest."