22: Interlude

A/N - *poses like Rose from Titanic* Heyo~ I'm back-ish. Just finally got some writing inspiration, I guess. Though, this chapter is not all that great because this was the interlude chapter from the original that I should've written/added some new parts but I liked it too much to add anything else. However, the next chapter is already halfway complete since I was gonna include that part in this chapter, but then I would've had to write an ending to the chapter and I wasn't about to do that.

Obligatory life update: I got a boyfriend now *flexes muscles* and I've been spending more time with my family and coworkers. I went to a few parties and am living my best adult life. In three months, I turn twenty-one so there's that - not that I'm going to drink, because I'm still abstaining from alcohol and all that shenanigans. Oops, went off-topic.

There will probably be some large gaps between chapters as I get older since I need to start providing for myself, which means working more. Though I still adore this story and still enjoy writing for this story, I'm just trying to be realistic. When I feel like writing, I'll write, but if I don't have time, I won't. Until next time!

Naruto kept his head on a swivel as he made his way down the street early that morning, watching in awe as shops were just starting to come alive, setting out their products for customers to purchase. Had it been a grocery run day, he might've stopped by a few shops looking for something new to try, but he was on a mission - well, not really, his team haven't even been given their first D-ranked mission yet.

Emphasis on yet.

His eyes peeled over to a clock hanging behind a merchant's head, eyeing the time. Kakashi had told them to meet him at the bridge on the east side of the village at noon - apparently, it had been a tradition he'd adopted from his own gennin years, information that Sakura and Naruto had soaked up like a sponge when their teacher had mentioned it offhandedly before disappearing in a swirl of leaves. Every new thing they learned about Kakashi was always so exciting and new, especially coming from someone as secretive as their sensei - well, at least to Naruto and Sakura it was. Neither was quite so sure about how their other elusive teammate felt toward their teacher.

The blond-haired teen knew he had some time to spare as Kakashi was likely going to be late as he had been the previous day before their test. Shikaku's warning had given Naruto incredibly invaluable knowledge in regard to his teacher. So, rather than hang around for three-plus hours waiting on his jounin teacher, Naruto's plan for the morning was to waste some time around the village and stop by a particular weapon shop.

Even though he'd only been there once before, it still held a special place in the twelve-year-old's heart. It had been the only place that one, was selling what he needed - medical revival scrolls - and two, was the only place that was willing to sell to him. 'Noboru's Used Weapons and Scrolls' had helped him on his quest to learn how to heal someone. Hell, Noboru's kindness and willingness to help Naruto had indirectly saved Iruka's life. By providing the blond with the scrolls, he was able to learn how to heal and for that, Naruto needed to thank the man personally.

When he had mentioned to Yoshino during breakfast his morning plans, she had been shocked although incredibly curious. Apparently, she'd never heard of the shop before and the woman had quite literally been all over Konohagakure during the shopping sprees she'd have every now and then. It did make Naruto's resolve falter a little bit, worried that Noboru's shop had finally run its course and was now out of business. He remembered the way the inside of the shop looked and recalled Noboru admitted that business as of late hadn't been all too kind to the older man.

Yoshino, practically sensing his unease, had tried to backtrack, motioning with a hand that she doesn't frequently shop at weapons shops often unless Shikaku or Shikamaru needed something while they were at work or school respectfully. But the worry still plagued Naruto as he helped her clean up the table and do some dishes before heading out. Shikamaru had left before breakfast on a D-ranked mission earlier that morning and Shikaku had left for a mission late last night so neither was present for the conversation. Although it was strange only being left alone with Yoshino, Naruto didn't mind one bit as the woman was pleasant to be around.