Leftovers

Because I'm not a heartless bastard and I do genuinely care about my readers, especially those who stayed with me throughout the years and for those whose kindness greatly impacted my life, here is everything that "The Great Medic" was supposed to be and more (i.e. unused parts, deleted chapters, impactful moments, key story points, future plot points). I've been putting this together since before republishing the fanfiction because, frankly, you all deserve it. Years of reading the original "The Great Medic" and then putting up with me rewriting all the chapters, only to leave it unfinished yet again. 

So, this is for you, all of you - my final goodbyes.

Notes for further reading: all bolded text is me talking to you readers while the regular plain text is actual notes/deleted chapters/text/etc. 

1.) My old medical notes I took during the original "The Great Medic". My document says it was originally written on April 9, 2018.

The first section was used when I was deciding how Sasuke was poisoned (this has been slightly edited for reading ease):

"Poison is a word that can be used to describe any chemical substance that is harmful and/or fatal to us. Most of these work by inhibiting some necessary biological process without which we die." - Quora user Aniruddh Singh

There are different types of poisons that work differently on the human body. But in general, most poisons do common things: slow down oxygen levels in the blood, increased heart rate, cools down the body temperature, dry the lips (may appear bluish in color, and kill the human eventually (try not to let this happen)

How poisons work: changes the speed of different body functions, increasing or decreasing them (i.e. increasing the heart rate, causing sweating, stopping breathing, etc.); these changes could lead to different organ systems acting differently or not at all.

"Poisons get into your body and gum up something essential in your body's cells. Without that essential something, your cells die, and so do you." - Quora user Dushyant Sankaralingam (apparently I was addicted to Quora during this time writing the original "The Great Medic")

Ranges from mild to moderate to severe:

- Mild: usually resolved quickly, is localized (i.e. affect one area of the body), and does not require treatment; includes the following: behavior changes (e.g., restlessness, crankiness), diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, headaches, loss of appetite, minor skin or eye irritation, nausea or upset stomach, passing cough (cough that comes and goes), soreness or stiffness in the joints, increased thirst.

- Moderate: prolonged, systemic (i.e., affect more than one organ, organ system, or part of the body), and often require treatment, usually not life-threatening or permanent; includes the following: blurred vision, confusion, and disorientation, difficulty breathing, drooling, excessive tearing, fever, low blood pressure (hypotension), loss of muscle control and muscle twitching, paleness (pallor) or flushed or yellowish skin, persistent cough, rapid heart rate, seizures, severe diarrhea, severe nausea, stomach cramps, sweating, severe thirst, trembling, increased weakness. (In the original "The Great Medic", this is where Sasuke's poisoning landed him in my notes but was portrayed differently in the actual text.)

- Severe: life-threatening, can result in permanent brain damage, disability, or death; includes the following: cardiopulmonary arrest (relating to the heart and the lungs), convulsions, disseminated intravascular coagulation (condition that causes uncontrolled bleeding or blood clotting), esophageal stricture (narrowing of the organ that carries food from the mouth to the stomach), fever (often high), inability to breathe, increased respiration (rapid breathing), loss of consciousness, muscle twitching (uncontrolled and severe), rapid heart rate with low blood pressure, respiratory distress that requires intubation (involves passing a tube down the trachea or windpipe to the lungs to provide breathing assistance; mechanical respiration may be necessary), seizures that do not respond to treatment (called status epilepticus), thirst (often extreme and can lead to dehydration), toxicity - general term used to indicate adverse effects produced by poisons and can range from slight symptoms (headaches, nausea, etc.) to severe symptoms like coma, convulsions, and death.