Chapter 1

Hey there, so this is the first fan fiction I ever completed and yeah, it's not great XD I might re-write it in the future but I'm gonna leave this one up just because it's the first multichapter I ever finished! I hope you enjoy, don't forget to vote and comment!

***

Lancelot sat alone in Gaius' chambers, he fumbled thoughtfully with the hem of his shirt and stared longingly at the door waiting for Merlin to return, he had been a knight for less than a month and problems were already starting to occur and he needed a friend to confide in.
After what seemed like years the door swung open and a messy looking Merlin stumbled through the door.

'What an earth has Arthur made you do?' Lancelot asked with a laugh, getting up to greet his friend.

'It would take too long to tell you' Merlin replied, sighing as he rubbed dirt of his chin and kicked off his sodden boots. 'Good day?' He asked and Lancelot smiled.

 Merlin was as happy as he was when he was made a knight, perhaps more and he always seemed keen to find out about how Lancelot was getting on.

'Fine, we just rode out to check the borders and sparred for a while.'

'Are you still enjoying it? Merlin asked whilst attempting to scratch mud off the sleeve of his jacket and failing miserably.

'Yes! It's all I ever had wanted. Some days I wake up and I think it's all been a dream.'

'Well it's not a dream I promise. You deserved to be a knight Lancelot' Merlin said proudly,  looking up from his jacket and smiling at his friend. 

Lancelot smiled back awkwardly at Merlins words and clutched the bottom of his shirt again thinking of something to say. The warlocks smile faded and his eyes looked serious as he spoke again.

'Did you talk to anyone new?' He inquired and Lancelot's eyes widened at how Merlin always seemed to know what someone's problem was before he even mentioned that there was something wrong.

'What is that supposed to mean? I talk to people.' Lancelot answered defensively, a little irritated by how he was so seemingly easy to read.

'Lancelot. I'm not blind, or deaf. Arthur told me that you don't talk to anyone besides him and Percival. Is there something wrong? If there's a problem you can tell me or Arthur and we can get it sorted for you. You can't just ignore people' Merlin said sympathetically and stepped forward to rest a hand on one of Lancelots shoulders in a comforting manner. 

The knight met his gaze but his throat went dry. He couldn't think of what to say anymore. He probed deep in his memory in an attempt to recover the lost words that he'd been rehearsing all day.

'Lancelot?'

It seemed that merlin already knew what was wrong, of course it would be wise to tell him the full story but now the opportunity had arose he suddenly felt pathetic for even thinking his problem was worth telling.  No one would understand why it made him feel anxious all the time,  they'd think him stupid for even thinking it.

'It's nothing Merlin.' He finally said. 'I'm just nervous that's all, I haven't exactly been around good people for a long time. I don't want to mess things up with my...awkwardness I suppose. I'll be fine though' He forced a smile and stood up to meet Merlins gaze who gave him a look which suggested he didn't believe him but didn't question him further.

 He took his hand off the knights shoulder and let it fall back to his side, still searching Lancelot's eyes. 

Lancelot grabbed his cloak and headed for the door pausing to grab an apple from the table on his way past. He glanced back at his friend who stood staring at him blankly, obviously concerned, but Lancelot couldn't bring himself to confess to what would seem to others such a pathetic problem.

'I'm going out for a walk' He said, twisting the handle on the door and pulling it open. He gave Merlin a small nod and stepped outside, feeling worse than when he came in.

***

Lancelot hurried round the corridors and hurtled down the stairs to the courtyard. He nodded to the guard at the gate as he past and headed for the fields down the side of the castle. The sky was beginning to darken and there was a cold, sharp breeze in the air. The knight wrapped his cloak tighter and in the process lost his grip on the apple whch rolled between his legs and behind him. He turned round to get it when someone launched themselves towards his feet and Lancelot fell backwards in shock and stared in surprise as he saw Gwaine cradling the apple in his hands.

'Sir Lancelot, you're are not so noble after all! Dropping this poor apple to its death, how fiendish and evil you truly are!' Gwaine laughed and took a large bite before offering it back to Lancelot who just stared at it, still shocked by the current circumstance.

'What's the matter Lancelot? Never eaten an apple before? I'll show you if you like' He took another bite whilst getting to his feet. He munched loudly and continued to look down at Lancelot with a puzzled expression. 'Are you okay?' He asked with a certain amount of concern in his voice.

'Huh? Oh right I erm...I'm fine' Lancelot mumbled and shuffled around trying to untangle himself from his cloak so he could stand up.

'Here' Gwaine offered his hand to Lancelot who took it gratefully and allowed himself to be pulled up. Gwaine held onto his hand and grinned playfully at Lancelot as he drew him closer to his chest, eyes darting across his face and making Lancelot feeling slightly uneasy.

'Thank you' lancelot said and awkwardly slipped his hand out of Gwaines feeling slightly flustered.  'Keep the apple' He muttered and turned away to hurry off but Gwaine persisted.

'Hey! This is basically the first time we've spoken to each other.' He jogged besides Lancelot and eventually stopped in front of him. 'Why don't we go to the tavern?' He looked hopeful but Lancelot shook his head.

'No thank you, I'm fine' He tried to step around but Gwaine stepped at the same time.

'What's the matter? Don't you like me?' He stuck out his bottom lip and Lancelot felt himself smile uncontrollably.

'See! you do like me! Come on, you can't stay cooped up all the time.'

'I'm fine, I'm just going for a walk. By myself.' He added in the hope Gwaine would understand. Of course he didn't.

'Come on!' Gwaine repeated, tugging at Lancelot's sleeve. 'I saw you walking off out here so I thought I'd invite you. Percival is going and I know you talk to him so there's no excuse.'

Lancelot sighed. He had to give points to Gwaine for effort but he really didn't feel like going.
'I'm sorry, not today.' He replied quietly and watched sadly as Gwaine's smile dropped.'I promise I'll come another time though.' He added and forced a smile for the second time today. 

Gwaine grinned and took a third bite out of the apple. 'Good! I'll see you then!' He called as he turned and bounded away. 

Lancelot let out a sigh of relief and continued to walk on by himself into the darkness.