Chapter 9

Lancelot had dismissed himself shorty after his epiphany with the excuse of a headache. 

Him and Gwaine had walked silently back to Gaius' chambers where Gwaine bid him goodnight and left, leaving Lancelot alone with his scrambled thoughts.

He was now sat on his bed with his back against the wall, hands tangled in his hair and his eyes tightly shut. What was he supposed to do? He couldn't tell Gwaine that he'd fallen for him, that would just cause a huge rift between them and he'd probably never speak to him again. He could try and completely ignore Gwaine until his feelings faded, although Lancelot knew from friends that that idea never brought about anything good. 

The only plausible idea he had was to try and carry on as normal and just hope with all hope that his feelings were mutual. But who was he kidding? Gwaine could never like someone like him, for a start the only man Gwaine had ever shown interest In was Merlin and Lancelot wasn't anything like him. 

He slumped down in his bed and rolled onto his stomach, burying himself within his covers. Why did it have to be gwaine? He'd never been attracted to any man before in his life and it was just his luck that the only one he did had to be Gwaine. The man with the reputation of a heart breaker, the man who sleeps around when he gets drunk and doesn't remember their name the next day.

 Lancelot's heart sank. What if that's all he could ever be to gwaine? A one night stand. He could never face that, not that it would ever happen, for a start Gwaine probably still thought he was in love with Gwen. 

He tossed and turned almost all night, getting up at dawn after what could only have been an hours sleep. He dressed slowly and made his way down to the field without breakfast; still feeling sick with worry. Lancelot had hoped no one would be out yet but to his disappointment Isen, Perival and Elyan were already stood around talking to each other. He forced a smile as he approached and the knights crowded round him.

'Lancelot! It's great to have you back.' Percival said happily and slapped Lancelot on the shoulder.

'It's great too be back, I hated being stuck inside all the time.' Lancelot told them and Percival and Elyan nodded.

'Of course there were perks not being able to walk weren't there?'

Lancelot turned his head to face the reddy-brown haired knight who had spoken.

'What do you mean by that Isen?' He asked firmly.

'You know not having to do work, people getting things for you, getting to spend more time with the person you love.'

Isen's gaze was fixed upon Lancelot's, his voice had been calm but somewhat accusing.

'Person I love? ' Lancelot asked trying to sound like he had no idea what the other man was talking about.

Isen smirked, his green eyes rolling before fixing on Lancelot again.

' I dunno...perhaps a woman, maybe a friend or... a certain knight.'

'What are you talking about? ' Lancelot said, struggling to keep his voice calm.

'Don't sound so shocked Lancelot, everyone knows you fancy Gwaine.'

A short silence followed, Isen was grinning madly and Percival and Elyan were looking incredibly awkward. Lancelot raised his eyebrows and smiled.

'You think I love Gwaine?' He laughed. Isen looked surprised by his response and gave him a challenging look.

'So you don't? '

'No. Not at all. ' His voice sounded sure but his heart was screaming at him, seemingly annoyed by his lies.