Past ~ N•Romanoff

For as long as they could remember, it had always been the two of them. An inseparable pair that had gone through hell, only to come out the other side alive, but not entirely unscathed.

Y/n had failed their orders, disregarded their biggest rule to simply be left broken hearted, no emotional attachments. For the moment she met Natasha, she knew she would never forget the girl. They had identical upbringings, an unmistakable parallel of one another.

It seemed at times as if they could read the other's thoughts, but there was one thing Natasha had never learned. Y/n had been completely and utterly in love with her.

The h/c haired girl had stood by her friends side the entire time, through each battle she fought alongside the avengers, y/n had fought alongside her.

For she was drowning within the oceans of the Romanoff girl's eyes, had been for a while. So, encapsulated by their crystalline waters that it left her dizzy, but she wouldn't trade the breathlessness that came with her presence for the world. Y/n had become reliant on the grand waves that rocked her as she watched Natasha, high on the airiness within her mind as she watched her love flourish while she crumbled in her shadow.

Before Natasha met Bruce, y/n had allowed herself to fantasize about her love being reciprocated, but the look in her darlings' eyes as they locked on the doctor let her know that no matter how hard she prayed, she never would.

As the brushes of hand that caused butterflies to erupt within y/n, setting her nerves on fire would never have the same effect on the other. They would forever just be gentle, reassuring touches instead of the passionate, amorous embraces y/n so desperately craved. The silken touch of her lips would never grace the love-struck girl, she was destined to watch as others reveled in the glow of Aphrodite's kiss whilst she was condemned to the shadows, to dance amongst the ghosts of hearts long broken.

Weeping widows and broken boys, their adoration forgotten, eyes forever gleaming with the cruelest of crystals as they watch their true love be held in the arms of another.

She could still remember the day they had returned to Clint's house, the warm cottage that turned cold as y/n walked past the room Natasha was in. Her hands wrapped around his neck; cheeks painted rose and eyes gleaming with sheer affection. Her quiet promises of their futures, running away, casting y/n aside if it meant they got to be together. She knew Natasha didn't love her back, but watching as she held the man, discarded their memories and bond for one last kiss shattered her in ways she had never imagined, filled her with such immense agony as she watched their relationship flourish.

The lustrous flame that had ignited in the spy as Bruce's hands slipped around her, the pleasurable inferno that raged between them as they looked into the other's eyes. The very same fire that scorned y/n for her foolishness, burning her for possibly believing that she would one day feel her partner's touch.

She held Natasha as she cried, cursing Bruce for leaving. Wiped the precious rivers off her scarlet flushed skin as she cradled the heart broken girl, she found a cruel kind of comfort in knowing that Bruce would leave so quickly. Perhaps Natasha would notice that she wasn't alone, that there had been a girl that sworn her one purpose on the planet was to make her happy again.

But as Natasha watched y/n fall to her death, soul stone now in the red heads grasp. She was still oblivious to the love within her eyes as she plummeted, all she could think was that now, finally, her and her love could be together.

For y/n had always been her past, but Bruce had become her future.

It's short, it's bad but idc

Lemme know what you thought!

Don't forget to vote, comment and request

Good Morning, Afternoon and Night - Mae x