Chapter 6

A/N: New art style cuz the other one takes too long to make .-.

***

The shouts of pain, the sickening sounds of flesh being brutally beaten... Orion's eyes were blown wide open in horror as he saw the scene unfold itself before him, wishing it was only some twisted act of a play.

"What's with that look, huh?! You want to say something?!"

A group of servants around their late adolescence was surrounding a smaller maid girl, kicking her relentlessly without mercy. Not just any group of servants either— Orion recognized a few of the faces to that of the faces in the crowd that had greeted him to the estate. Their smiles had been bright and welcoming, and Orion had waved to them with a smile likewise— yet their expressions couldn't have been more different than the ones they had now... cold, domineering, and malicious.

"I've been growing tired of you acting all high and mighty, fucking slut." They had the audacity to laugh, looking like they enjoyed the entire thing, to Orion's horror.

"I heard you spread your legs for one of the butlers to get assigned to the main estate," one jeered, "Just how shameful can you be?"

Orion didn't understand what they meant, but he imagined it was nothing good from the reaction of the girl, who turned red with anger at the comment.

"That's not true!" the girl shouted angrily, but she was quickly shut up by a kick to her face, through her eyes blazed with fury.

Snapping out of his stupor, an uncontrollable wave of rage washed over Orion, and his small hands formed into fists. Yet, as much he wanted to act, he could not move, his feet glued to the ground as if chains were locking them into place.

Orion flinched as Altair settled a warm, gentle hand on his shoulder in reassurance, and he whipped his head around to see him. Altair's face, despite his expression being unchanging, carried a disposition full of so much pain-- those intense, piercing amber eyes of his zeroing on the scene with swirling empathy and quiet determination.

After taking a deep breath, Altair gave him a resigned smile— to which Orion realized what he was about to do.

"Stay here," he said, his voice quiet, yet firm— and in the next moment, the very warmth that grounded him left his shoulder.

Orion's hand reached out uselessly for his friend, his mouth opening wordlessly as the beastkin quickly rushed forward towards the mass of bodies, shielded the girl from her attackers. In complete utter shock, he could do nothing but watch in complete panic as the servants turned his attention to Altair. Although surprise colored their faces, their shocked faces confronted into sneers, calling Altair— the strong and kind Altair— things like 'stupid mutt' and 'lowly dog', before beating him to the ground as well.

It felt all too much like a fever dream, being anchored and completely powerless against the tides of the incomprehensible, yet the sounds of the harsh unforgiving blows against Altair wordlessly shielding his face reminded him that this was nothing short of reality.

As the servants finally eased down, Altair was left on the ground, the girl having left already at the first chance of escape. Orion found himself rushing over to him, his voice pressed and hysterical.

"Why— why did you—"

"I'm sturdier than you guys. See? I'm alright." Altair's voice was steady and grounding, his gaze warm despite the sadness behind those eyes. "Don't cry."

Orion hadn't even noticed how hot tears were rolling down his face, and he quickly wiped his tears away with his sleeves with trembling, clumsy movements.