2 | 𝒃𝒖𝒈 𝒃𝒐𝒚

💫

...💫...

𝑷𝑹𝑬𝑺𝑬𝑵𝑻, 𝑺𝒎𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆

𝐎𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟑

A small smile graced her lips, and Ariella tucked her knees against her chest. She held her breath and watched as the orange and black butterfly danced along her fingers.

It was beautiful.

"Is that a smile?"

Ariella frowned when the butterfly left her fingers. "You spooked it."

"Ella, it's just a butterfly." Lin reminded her.

Ariella rested her chin on her knee. "Let me enjoy the little things until Dad's grounding ends."

"It's only been a day." Lin laughed.

Ariella glared at him. "Just wait. When you get grounded, I'm going to laugh at you." She looked at the black leather jacket and helmet in his hands. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere," Lin winked, getting to his feet.

Ariella narrowed her eyes. "Uh huh,"

"Don't wait up,"

Ariella huffed, watching her twin rush down the steps to his motorcycle. She watched as he slipped on his helmet before revving it, and he was gone in the blink of an eye.

"Ready?"

Ariella sighed, getting to her feet. "It's not like I have a choice."

"Ariella." Dad sighed.

She brushed past him, heading to his truck.

Ariella understood that her dad would do anything to protect her. He couldn't lose her or her brother. But she felt like he was going about it the wrong way.

"Ready for the farmers market?"

Ariella paused, grabbed the door handle, and looked blankly into her aunt's eyes. "Sure."

She got into the back of the truck, slamming the door shut behind her.

Ariella watched her dad rub his forehead before climbing into the truck after her.

"We need to stop by the Kent booth," Nadia said, filling the tense silence.

Ariella looked out the window, drowning out Nadia. She gripped the strings of her jeans, trying to entertain herself as her phone was still broken. Ariella played with the crescent pendant that hung around her neck while resting her head against the headrest.