Sleepless Nights

Sleepless Nights

"Potter. Out of bed and causing mischief. Again" Filch's voice drawled angrily as he put a hand on top of James's shoulder, holding it tight as he shoved the mischievious Gryffindor down the hall to his office and threw down in the chair across from his desk. 

"You can't blame me," James's voice was filled with a bit of panic as he tried to play it off with a smirk, "I feel like a personal resident in this office."

Filch, ignoring James's comment, dove into his desk drawer as he pulled out a piece of spare parchment to write down his crime and punishment. "Hmm, what shall I have your punishment be tonight?" He asked to himself quietly as he began writing down James's name on the parchment. "Professor Mcgonagall is always fond of having her sixth year's for detention. What an awful example of the Gryffindor house, don't you think, Potter? Or maybe Professor Slughorn could use an extra hand cleaning his cauldrons for a day."

"C'mon Filch!" James exclaimed at the ideas Filch was throwing out, "All I did was accidentally light a Hufflepuff's robes on fire! Just for a laugh, that's all!"

Filch glared at him, "Well I don't think Mrs. Jenkins appreciated it as much as you did, Potter. So you will attend a detention with Professor McGonagall on 5 April at eight o'clock."

"But why can't I have the detention with you?" James blurted out and his face turned quite red.

Filch looked up at him, a confused look on his face and James stared back, looking into his dark hazel eyes that almost match his own. He stared for a few moments, getting lost in the color of them as Filch studied his thoughts. They were like the color of mud after a rain storm, a comforting image James soon found to learn. 

"Potter wants a detention with me?" He cooed, brushing a hand over Mrs. Norris as the cat jumped up on the desk and started purring.

James blinked out of his staring and found his throat starting to tighten. "I-I, um, well, you know, um, it's just that, you don't, uh, particularly give out the worst types of punishments." He stuttered out, trying to find the right words to say as he ran a hand through his hair, panicking. 

Filch glared at him. "I can punish you hard enough."

James tried to keep himself from snorting at this. If Sirius were with him, he would've been on the ground laughing. "Oh yeah?" He asked with a smirk moving closer to him across the desk. "Prove it."

Filch looked taken aback as James moved closer to him. "Prove it?" Filch echoed.

"Yeah," James nodded and he lifted a finger towards Filch's chin, lifting it up for him to meet his eyes. "Do your worst."

James suddenly sat up in his bed, drenched in sweat. He ran a hand through his hair multiple times and tried to keep calm. "What the bloody fuck, what the fuck Potter, bloody hell." He was mumbling to himself. He reached over and grabbed his glasses off of the nightstand and slammed them onto his face and looked out into their dorm to find Sirius staring right back at him, a wide grin on his face.

"Prongs, you alright?" Sirius asked in a laughing tone. "Those were some loud moans, let me tell you."

James, red in the face and angered, threw his pillow across the room and it hit Sirius square in the face. 

"How the bloody hell did you throw that with so much power?" Sirius groaned, rubbing his nose.

"Quidditch, you idiot."

Sirius nodded, but his smile came back rather quickly, "So, who was the lovely lady you dreamt about tonight? Lily? Maryrose? Annalee? McKenna?"

James shook his head and stood up to go get a glass of water, "Uh, none of them..." 

Sirius raised an eyebrow, "Oh gods Evans, who are you boinking now?" James turned around quickly at the Oh gods Evans remark and glared at his best friend. "You aren't snogging my brother, are you?"

"No. I wouldn't dream about snogging Regulus." James quickly replied. 

"You know, I would be completely fine with the prospect," Sirius admitted. "The Black brothers would be two very lucky men."

"I'm not dreaming about Regulus!" James groaned and drank his entire glass in one gulp. "You bleeding, dirty-minded dog!"

"Shut it, you two!" Remus mumbled from his bed, his face smushed into his pillow and his voice tired. 

Sirius looked at his boyfriend and smiled. "Moony, you sound so hot right now and I quite turned on right now."

"Go somewhere else!" complained Peter from his bed. "Please, we are trying to sleep!"

James didn't have to be told twice and rushed out of the dorm and into the common room, where he quickly lit a fire and laid back across the couch, his head on one side and the feet hanging off the other side, no shirt on and grey sweatpants that hug low around his waist and his hand flung around his forehead as he closed his eyes for a moment before he was interrupted.

"Prongs, tell me who's in your dream," begged Sirius as he came trampling down the stairs, quite possibly waking everyone up. "I won't tell anyone."

James opened one of his eyes to look at him as he came and down down right in front of the couch. "Really?"

"I solemnly swear," Sirius promised. 

James sat up. "You have to promise you won't laugh, though, promise it!"

Sirius nodded, "I promise, bloody hell, this lady must really be a secret. Are you snogging Minnie?"

James punched him in his shoulder, "No, never."

Sirius grabbed a hold of his own shoulder, "Stop. Bloody. Hitting. Me. And tell me who you are having these exotic dreams with."

James hesitated a moment, still trying to piece together the words to describe it. And did he really even know if it was actually Filch in the dream? There was no way of actually remembering, right? "Uh, it's Filch." He finally said. 

Sirius snorted. "No, really, who are you snogging." 

James shook his head. "I'm being serious, well no, you're serious, but this is actually true and I don't know how to get him out of my head and it's so bloody weird and ugh, Sirius, help me, please."

Sirius stared at him, like he was about to say a whole bunch of things. But he just started laughing. Hard. "FILCH? Prongs, you're dreaming about FILCH? The guy who gives us detentions and makes our lives a bloody nightmare?" James nodded, his face turning redder than the Gryffindor wallpaper that hung around the room. This only made Sirius laugh harder as he rolled around on the floor, holding his arms around his chest. "STOP. I'M GOING TO PISS MYSELF!" He wheezed. 

James rolled his eyes and stood up. "You useless dog." He grumbled and stormed off back up the stairs to their dorm where he could barely see the light coming up from beyond the Forbidden Forest. He could still hear Sirius laughing his ass off in the common room and he sighed, flopping onto his bed, and completely forgetting to take off his glasses and he heard them snap as they made impact with his pillow. "If this night couldn't get any worse." And he set the two pieces on his nightstand and decided to deal with that tomorrow, for he had a more important thought to cover.

Why was he dreaming about Filch and what did it mean to him? And why was he suddenly okay with it if Filch happened to do anything like that in real life?