Chapter 10

That night, Lexa opened up a chat window she'd been ignoring in the first few months that it kept lighting up with texts.

Then the texts came after longer intervals. Her birthday, Christmas, thanksgiving. Then this year, they just stopped coming in all together. Lexa finally began to type back tonight.

"Hi Raven J Are you up?"

"Holy shit! Thank heavens! Girl, you're alive!!!" came Raven's reply.

"Classic Raven reaction. I've missed you" Lexa typed and sent.

"Then come home." came Raven's immediate reply.

"So much has changed, Rae" she replied.

"Here too. But not what we feel about you." The words were meant to hold so much. Lexa refused to let it get to her. Instead she decided to type out a little disclaimer.

"I know it's been a while. But I don't think I'm completely ready to address everything about what I left behind. I hope that's fine with you. I wouldn't like to talk about certain things and certain people." said Lexa.

"I understand...I think." came Raven's reply.

"Thank you." Lexa smiled sadly as she turned in her bed. She looked at the time, it was 10 pm. Madi must be asleep at her camp.

"How have you been Raven? Are you still working at the same place?" she continued to catch up with her long lost friend. Raven too kept the conversation going around her work, her rent, the latest gossip on the streets, a little news about marriages and kids amongst a few of their mutual friends. But neither of them brought up Clarke.

"I have a daughter, Raven. Her name's Madi" Lexa typed and hit send. And then soon after, she sent Madi's photo, one they had clicked right before Madi left for the camp that morning.

Lexa waited as she saw the three dots to indicate Raven was typing. But the dots kept appearing, then disappearing. Then they would bob up and down for a long while and then disappear again. Clearly, Raven was at a loss for words at Lexa's revelation and Lexa now began to worry.

"She's beautiful, Lex" came Raven's reply then.

"Rae, you were typing for 15 minutes. What is it you're not saying?"

Lexa had always admired the fact that Raven was as blunt as it gets. She would always say what's on her mind. And right now, she wanted that Raven to speak her mind.

"She looks so... extraordinary... There's something about her eyes. They're familiar. Anyway, I take it you're seeing someone then?"

Lexa stared at that last bit. And immediately replied

"No no, there's no one in my life right now. I adopted Madi when she was one year old."

"Alright that makes sense. Wait, so you've been with no one... ever since..."

"Rae... I'd prefer not to talk about this yet."

"Of course of course. Anyway listen I've got to go, can I call you tomorrow? Can I trust that you won't go MIA on me all over again?" came Raven's reply.

"I promise. I'll be right here. No more MIA." Promised Lexa.

"Great. Goodnight Lex. I'm so happy you finally reached out."

"Goodnight Raven. I'm glad I did this too. But do me a favour, let's keep this between us, please."

"Sure. Right. Yea" came Raven's reply.

Clarke was up early today, even though she had no reason to be. Aden was out of town. She didn't have to be at the gallery today. She could have easily slept the day in. But her eyes shot open at 7 am out of habit, and she couldn't bring herself to fall asleep after that. So here she was, for once allowing herself to whip up a good breakfast even though it was just going to be her.