Chapter 5

Edgeli Addison

"So your boyfriend is coming into town this afternoon," Teo said as we walked away from the ice cream parlour.

"I've actually been really enjoying some space from him," I admitted to Teo, "like we work the same charters a lot of the time, we live together on land..." I trailed off and I was sensing his awkwardness, "you know we don't have to talk about him," I told him and I really didn't want to make him feel weird about it.

"He's a part of your life, Edge, and I accept that," he said but it was different accepting it when he wasn't here.

"So you don't mind that I'm bringing him to King's tonight?" I checked with him.

"You want to put a Yachty around King and Javi's crowd in Little Mexico?" He questioned and that could prove a small issue. Skye was kind of on the upper class side and my boys from home weren't exactly clean cut white collar.

"They are at least legitimate businessmen now," I offered to the situation.

"Mostly," we both added and it made me laugh. We'd fallen back into sync with each other pretty easily, old habits die hard and all that.

"Skye says he wants to know about my life growing up so I'm going to take him out on the Addy with my family, and he's going to meet you guys," I told him and I did want my worlds to mesh seamlessly but I knew it wasn't going to go that easily.

"Does he at least speak Spanish?" Teo asked me.

"Not that I know."

"Oh E...they're going to eat him alive," he warned me and I was well aware of that.

"Maybe we won't talk in Spanish?" I said but I knew that definitely wouldn't happen. It was rare we'd all speak only English because Spanish was just more fun and because the boys were all latino American, loved their Spanish heritage and I loved all of them.

"You're way too optimistic now you've spent five years away from this place," he told me bluntly.

"Yeah but I need this to go well, because I don't know which world I'll choose if I'm forced to," I told him and he put his hand on my shoulder.

"Jav and King love the fact you're back in town, E, they're not going to do anything to drive you away," he assured me and I hoped he was right.

I was waiting outside the bus station for him. I was so nervous about my world's colliding right now but also I had started missing Skye in the countdown to his visit. He appeared at the entrance and I ran up to my boyfriend.

"I've missed you so much," he told me and we kissed.

"I missed you too," I said and we kissed again.

"So what are the plans for my stay in small town California?" He asked me as we walked towards the truck hand in hand.

"We'll take you out on the Addy, some of my old school friends are throwing a party tonight," I told him, "do you speak Spanish?" I asked him, realising I had no idea if he did or not.

"I mean like high school Spanish, why?" He asked, looking worried.

"Javi and King are Chicano, so switch between English and Spanish a lot," I explained, "it can just be hard to follow the conversation sometimes is all," I said and unlocked the truck.

"I feel like I'm about to learn a lot about you the next three days," he said and I now had the confused face because I thought he was staying for the week, "I got asked to work on a boat, contract starts mid week," he explained and I was glad he'd manage to find some work now he'd taken his 'mandatory post-charter vacation', "and since you're sticking around out here a while, figured I'd take a short contract to blow out the cobwebs," he added and that did make sense.