preface ⎯ we're all going to die!

( gif by the amazing Raichia ! ) 

There has to be another way, Zoe thought desperately, looking into her sister's eyes. There has to be something else we can do.

But deep down, she knew it was hopeless. It was all hopeless. The pieces had already been in place long before they even knew what the game was. They'd fallen right into the trap that had been carefully laid for them. All they could do now was try to fight through all the lies and illusions to try and fix the wrongs that had ruined everything. That would ruin so much more.

"There has to be another way."

It was only one voice, and yet every single person in the room was thinking the same thing.

They'd repeat it over and over again. Stall, just like they always did. But by then it would be too late.

Zoe and Lia exchanged glances, both of them thinking the same thing. We have to do this.

No more long nights drowning in questions. No more missteps and failed attempts. It was time to end this.

It would take time for them to understand, of course. They'd say it wasn't worth it. They'd try something else, keep the two of them safe even if it meant hundreds more dying. But they weren't worth it. Even with all their flaws and strengths, if they could stop this madness before it spread, it was worth a shot. Because the ramifications if they failed were too great.

Even as the room fell silent and the eyes turned towards the twins, Zoe stayed strong. Even as the shouts piled on top of each other and the tears flowed, she kept her cool. She had to.

Because if she left herself thinking about what exactly she was going to do, she knew that the cracks would spread too far, and she'd fall into the darkness she'd been trying so hard to avoid.

We'll get through this, Zoe vowed to herself.

"There has to be another way."

But there wasn't. There was only one way to stop this before it spread too far, even if it meant sacrificing everything.

The pieces had always been in place. Everything they'd done had been masterfully manipulated, carefully molded to the expectation of those who watched in the shadows.

So it was time to break the mold. It was time to try something so big and crazy that no one would ever expect them to do. And that was why it just might work.

We've always gotten through.

Zoe squeezed Lia's hand, feeling the heat of her sister's fire as if it was her own.

No more turning back. No more dead ends. No more doubt or worry. It was time to become who they were meant to be, no matter the cost.

Every star dies, she thought grimly, let's make the most of our light while we have it.