chapter one ⎯ things get crispy

The night had started out clear

The night had started out clear. Millions of stars had decorated the velvet sky, bright and visible against the inky blackness - perfect for stargazing. But not anymore. Now, it was like the city, alive at night with flashing lights and loud noises. Smoke filled the air, blocking out the stars that had shined so brightly just hours ago. Sirens blared and floodlights shone with the light of a thousand suns.

Amid this chaos, two twins stumbled over uneven stone streets, wishing with all their hearts that they could turn back time.

"Come on," cried the first one, her voice hoarse. She coughed, quivering with the ferocity of it.

"I can't hold it much longer," rasped the second one, her voice just as hoarse and twice as weak. With her waxen skin and eyes half-open, she looked as if she was going to collapse. Her skin glowed with a hidden light, which disappeared as quickly as it had come. If the girl hadn't let out a moan, any witness would have brushed it off as a trick of the light.

The first one tightened her grip on the second, her posture straight despite the desperation in her eyes. "Just hold on. We're almost there."

They slipped nearly soundlessly through the streets, looking identical with their ripped clothes and hair the color of the flames that ran through their veins. They ran through the middle of the street, tripping over the debris that appeared out of the darkness. It didn't matter if anyone saw them. Someone already had. All they were focused on was getting as far away as possible.

"Lia!" whispered the first one, her voice cracking as Lia tumbled to the ground.

She quickly picked herself back up. "I'm fine," Lia said, her voice barely audible. She cleared her throat in an attempt to rid it of the bitter taste that the smoke had left in her mouth. "Zoe, I'm serious. It's just over there." Her hand lifted, pointing weakly at the unassuming stone building that stood just down the street.

Zoe's eyes clouded for a minute. She wasn't used to being the leader. That was Lia's job. Lia was the calm one. The collected one. Lia was the one who always knew what to do. Lia was the one who always had the answers. But now the roles were reversed, and it was Zoe's job to make sure her sister was safe.

So instead of collapsing onto the cold stone, Zoe tightened her grip and dragged her sister along as she sprinted to what was their last hope.

The door was open, thank whatever gods happened to exist in their miserable little world, and swung open with a loud squeak.

Lia cried out again, dropping Zoe's hand and clutching her head. "I can't hold it!"

Zoe looked around desperately, but there was nothing, Just a long hallway that branched off in multiple directions. But the whole thing would come crashing down on them if they didn't move fast enough. A shout echoed from outside, and Zoe squeezed her eyes shut.

There was no time for indecision. She placed her hand gently on Lia's shaking shoulder, the skin warm beneath her fingers. "Deep breath," she whispered, taking one in herself.