06. The Surprise

- Kady -

"Where are we going?" Skylar asks for the hundredth time as she bounces up and down beside me.

"Would you be quiet for a moment, Skylar?" I complain as I hold my head in my hands.

"Someone's grumpy today," Sam says from the driver's seat.

"Well, that's only because someone decided to wake me up by banging the door of my apartment early in the morning. And now we don't even know where you're taking us." I glare at the back of Sam's seat.

I didn't get a wink's sleep last night. As I twisted and turned between the blankets all night, my brain couldn't stop thinking about Logan and what happened yesterday. When I finally fell asleep, Sam came to wake me up and dragged me to his car. I had found Liv, Skylar and her boyfriend, Jack, already waiting in the car. Now, I'm trying to hold onto my sanity as Skylar squeals beside me in the backseat of Sam's car.

"We've been riding for more than an hour and my butt is numb. Why aren't you telling where you're taking us?" Liv speaks up from the other side of Skylar. "Jack, do you-"

"Don't ask me. He hasn't told me either," Jack says and glares at Sam.

"It's a surprise. And we're almost there! Just a little bit longer!" Sam says.

"It's Skylar's birthday. I understand if you keep a surprise for her, but why aren't you telling us what it is?" Liv asks.

"She's right. You can at least tell us," Jack agrees with Liv.

"I'm right here, in case you all forgot," Skylar says.

"Trust me, it'll be fun!" Sam says again.

"I'm not so sure," Liv murmurs. I agree with her. Sam is not one to be trusted with surprises.

"Hey, Sky?" Jack turns around in his seat to look back at Skylar. "I've got surprise for you too."

"What?" Skylar asks, smiling.

"Not now." He winks at her.

"Come on, Jack! Not you too! Tell me!"

I tune out the rest of the conversation and look out the window.

The wind coming from the window brings a sense of calm to me. The cold wind touches my skin, smoother than water, making me feel at ease for the first time since I met Logan. I let my eyes close, letting my mind rest for an instance, and enjoy the peaceful moment.

As I open my eyes again, I catch sight of a sign:

TELLER CITY HISTORIC SITE

DAY USE AREA

That was all I could read before we passed the sign.

"Where's Teller city?" I ask.

"Teller city? Why?" Jack asked.

"Didn't you see the sign?"

"What sign?" Right. He must be too busy talking with Skylar to notice the sign.

"We just crossed a sign that said Teller city."

Jack frowns and turns to Sam, "You're taking us to a ghost town, Sam?"

"We're going to a ghost town?" Liv squeaked.

"A ghost town? Yes!" Skylar exclaims. "It's gonna be so much fun!"

I stare at Skylar.

"What?" Skylar shrugs, "I've never been to a ghost town before."