Chapter Five: Speed

Kitten had made quite the name for himself. If you wanted to know something in Gotham, whether that be where the newest gang is getting their weapons from or if Batman was going to be on the south side, Kitten was your man. Well boy. He knew everything about everyone and information like that was highly valuable. Though, if you wanted to get your hands on that information, you'd have to go through Catwoman or try and catch the cat yourself. Unfortunately, to know everything, you've got to be everywhere. He roamed the streets, rooftops and sidewalks in no particular routine. Sometimes he wasn't even guaranteed to be in Gotham. Hence how he met a ginger speedster.

Kid Flash AKA Wally West was patrolling when Flash told him to wait whilst he dealt with a big baddie. The ginger had protested that he was ready for the big leagues but alas, it was no use. He was left on a rooftop and told to call his mentor if anything looked fishy or if he was in danger. So there he was, bored out of his mind, sitting on top of an apartment block roof. He huffed as he watched over the city he could be running around when he felt a presence on the rooftop beside him. Immediately, he whipped around to see it only to find a black figure. The figure tilted its head at him and jumped down. Kid Flash was tempted to call his mentor but he paused when he saw just how small they were. Now that they were closer, he could make out a tail and ears. They wore big goggles with red lenses but he couldn't see their eyes. A black mask covered most of their face so their identity was hidden. Not like Kid Flash would know them anyway. "Hello?"

"You're new," they stated, ignoring the greeting. They took a step forward and Kid Flash scrambled to his feet to take a step back. "Jumpy so definitely new." They brought their arm up and a small screen appeared followed by a keyboard. It was a light blue but that wasn't what caught the speedster's attention. He was more concerned about another blue light that shot out and scanned him. He winced back but was pleasantly surprised when he wasn't incinerated. "You know, you're the first to stay still when I do this," they commented. The scan popped up on the screen and the smaller hummed. "Hero or villain?"

"Excuse me?"

"Hero or villain?" they repeated.

"Why do you wanna know? Who are you?" 

"Inquisitive but not brash, interesting. Bright colours, Flash symbol but you're not that weirdo who's obsessed with Flash. Must be a protege. Hero then," they stated, typing in the information. They paused. "Kid Flash." He really didn't know how to react to this. There hadn't been an attack yet but that didn't mean he was in the clear. Why did they even need this information? "Left alone for extended periods of time but doesn't patrol alone. New to the game and isn't initially aggressive." They nodded to themselves and went to get closer but Kid Flash moved away. "Wary but not skittish."

"Dude, can you not do that?" he snapped. They looked up at him and put their arm down. 

"Sorry, I like to get it down as fast as I can. Quite a few people are looking to take you out. Of course, I don't leak the stuff that leads to murder. Well directly leads to murder. I'm not a murder person," they rambled. "Name's Kitten."

"Kitten?" Kid Flash repeated.

"Yep. Protege of Catwoman and prolific burglar as well as Gotham's number one informant." 

That name sounded familiar but it wasn't one Kid Flash knew off the top of his head. Kitten waited for him to say something but when he didn't, he shrugged to himself. "Alright well, considering I've got my startup, I'll be on my way," he stated. He turned back to the rooftop he'd come from and took a run-up, jumping off and landing effortlessly. Kid Flash stared at him as a debate sparked in his head. This Kitten was the most interesting thing he had going on right now and he'd much rather figure out more about the mysterious criminal than sit alone on a rooftop. He'd never really jumped from rooftop to rooftop but that was his best bet at not losing the guy. He remembered what Kitten did. He turned to the rooftop, he took a few steps back and then he ran. Unfortunately, he hadn't accounted for the fact he was heavier than the smaller so when he copied the speed that only made him fall short. This only became apparent when he'd already jumped off and when he reached out to grab onto the edge. The brick scraped his fingers and he felt his stomach sink as he failed to grab on. He was falling and he was going to be one big yellow and red mess on the pavement below. That was until two hands grabbed onto his arm and paused his free fall. He looked up to find Kitten was the owner of those hands and was pulling him up. He let out a relieved sigh and grabbed onto the edge as soon as he could, pulling himself up with the other's help. "Close one speedster," Kitten commented.