Chapter five

When Y/N went outside to feed the chickens in the morning, the sun had just risen over the horizon. A light wind swept over the hillside, and the birds chirped. It made for a picture-perfect morning when combined with the gorgeous, cloudless blue sky.

And then Y/N heard a familiar sound.

Miche was standing by the gate to his paddock when she turned her head. His sides were heaving, and he was drenched in sweat. As he moved nervously on his feet, the whites of his eyes revealed.

"Miche," Y/N said as she ran over to the big horse's paddock to let him drink. She gave him a gentle pat. "What are you doing in this place? What happened to...?" Her hand stayed motionless. When she saw the broken straps where the harness had once been attached, her hand then started to shake. When she saw the tattered reins, her eyes widened even more. Something horrible had happened to her father.

Y/N threw a saddle on Miche's back, tightened the girth, and put a new bridle on his head, not pausing to consider her actions. She was aware that she was placing a lot of pressure on the horse, but he was the only one who knew where her father was. She kicked the horse forward as she mounted.

Y/N was well aware that her father had disappeared into the jungle. That much she was certain of; it was his usual route. Miche's hopes dwindled as she left the village's familiar countryside and cantered through the thickening forest. This section of the forest was enormous. It seemed nearly impossible to find only one man among all of them. "Hurry up, Miche," she said as the horse veered around a split-in-half tree. "Lead me to him," she said.

 The trees became thicker and the sky grew darker, but Miche forged ahead bravely. Y/N searched the field and the narrow path's sides. She suddenly noticed her father's cart. It was lying on its side on the field. Her father's exquisite music boxes, as well as his war gear, were strewn about, some broken beyond repair and others less so. Her father, however, was nowhere to be found.

She nudged Miche with her heels once more, urging him on. The horse cantered on as if he was used to the narrow and winding road. Y/N could only hope it was because he and her father had gone in that direction.

A gate came into view a moment later, much to her relief. She saw a huge stone castle behind the thick iron bars. Miche grumbled. Her father had to be somewhere in the house. It was clear to Y/N. She dismounted quickly and patted Miche. She whispered encouraging words as she led him inside the gate and asked him to wait. She began to ascend the stone stairs, but then came to a halt. Y/N had no intention of rushing into the strange castle without any means of protection. She noticed a large branch that had fallen to the ground as she looked around. She picked it up and held it over her head, wielding it like a club. She then proceeded to the front gate.

Y/N made no attempt to knock. She didn't want to waste any time looking for her father if he was still inside somewhere. She entered a huge foyer after pushing open the doors. A few candles hang from the walls, casting just enough light to fill the space. Y/N stepped further into the castle, squaring her shoulders and taking a deep breath.

Her eyes adjusted to the darkness as Y/N made her way towards the grand staircase. She could hear muffled voices but couldn't see anybody. Two voices rose and fell, and then she heard a single phrase said loud and clear: "But how do you know she's the one? Who will be the one to break the spell?"

"Who said that?" Y/N inquired, spinning around and peering in the direction she thought the voices had originated.

Nothing.

"Who's there?"

Still nothing.

Then there was a voice from deep inside the castle. The distinct sound of someone coughing was heard by Y/N. Papa. It made no difference who was whispering. She just had to locate her father. Y/N started ascending the long staircase, picking up a candelabrum from a nearby table and following it all the way to the top. As she reached the top of the labyrinth stairs, she found herself in a tower that was being used as a jail, which she realized with growing fear. Opposite the stairwell was a gated iron door. While she couldn't see through the latticework because it was too dense, she could make out the outline of someone sitting within.