𝙋𝙧𝙤𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

"Dahlia" Somebody shook her awake "Dahlia, get up."

"Go away" Dahlia groaned

"We have to leave, THEY'RE here."

Immediately Dahlia shot up and looked at her aunt.

"How did they find us? Where are Mamá and Papa?"

"Listen Dahlia, you're Mamá and Papa. They-" Maya hesitated looking at Dahlia's innocent brown eyes "They were the ones that brought them here."

"Wh-what? NO You're wrong! MY PARENTS WOULD NEVER BETRAY US!!" The 8-year-old screamed

"Keep quiet, child. Do you want to be caught by them?"

Dahlia shook her head

"As I thought. Now we don't have much time, so you need to get out of here."

"But where will I go?"

"Go to the Great Tree and behind the waterfall there is a small boot. That is a portkey and it will take you to someone who will keep you safe."

"Do they know about us?"

"Yes, now run child, before they find you."

"Goodbye Auntie, promise to visit." Dahlia said holding out her pinkie finger

"I promise." Maya said even though she knew that was the last time she would get to see Dahlia.

Dahlia ran out of the house with her stuffed bear, Loki. She ran past the countless dead bodies of her family and friends, keeping her eyes trained on the Great Tree knowing that if she stopped, even for a split second, that next it could be her body lying on the ground. Dahlia had almost made it to the Great Tree when suddenly the earth around her exploded making her fall against the rocks. Dahlia tried to stand up but immediately stopped when she saw a hand on her neck.

"You're coming with me, princess." The man snarled

Dahlia struggled in the man's hold, desperately trying to escape.

"Let her go." a voice screamed

A burst of water came from below the ground and drowned the man.

"RUN PRINCESS!" the voice shouted again
Dahlia began running, finally recognising the voice of the baker. The baker was always such a kind man and he made delicious cakes and cookies. Now she saw that same man getting tortured for helping her escape, but she couldn't stop. She had to escape, so with the help of the wind and the help of the grass, the girl rushed to the waterfall. She had finally found the portkey, but before she could touch it, she blacked out.

Dahlia woke up because she was rapidly falling. She started panicking, trying to think of something she could do to ease her fall, but right before she hit the ground the air around her stopped. Dahlia opened her eyes and looked around. She was in a beautiful garden, filled with flowers and bees and it smelt like home. Suddenly reminded of her once beautiful home, Dahlia started crying. Crying for her aunt, for her friends, and for the baker. What had they done to deserve death? And why had her parents aided the species massacre? They had always seemed so kind. As the rulers of their people, they were incredibly gifted and humble. So what had led them to killing their people? With questions still reeling inside her mind, Dahlia didn't realize the woman that had walked towards her.

"You must be Maya's niece." the woman said, her Scottish accent thick

Dahlia stood up and raised her hand, ready to use whatever it took to get away from this lady.

"Woah, dear it's alright. I presume your Aunt Maya didn't tell you about me?" The woman questioned

Dahlia looked at the woman and hesitantly shook her head. Still not sure who this woman was.

"Well, I am Dona Montgomery. I own this beautiful estate. Your aunt asked me to let you stay here until you can move out on your own. Why don't you come inside and rest?"

Normally Dahlia would have said no, but because she was so tired mentally and physically, she gave in.

"Perfect, come this way."

The woman led Dahlia to a charming cottage. It reminded her of her friend, Malia's house. The cottage had two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a dining room. It was quite small, but Dahlia liked that.

"Here, dearie." Dona handed her a pair of clothes. "You don't want to sleep in those dirty clothes."

Dahlia looked down and suddenly realized how dirty she actually was. She had mud covering one of her legs, the other had been cleaned from the water the baker released. Her chest and stomach were covered in soot from some of the fires that were burning. And her arms were covered in cuts from when she fell on the rock. Dahlia cringed, not wanting to see how bad her face was.

"Well, after you get changed you can rest on the bed. I'll bring you something to eat when you wake up." Dona said

"Thank you." Dahlia croaked

"It's no problem, dearie." Dona started to
walk away when she abruptly stopped. "Oh, I never did get your name."

"Dahlia. Dahlia Forest."