Friggason in the Library

The wedding reception was held at the front of the palace, near the edge of the Bifrost's path. You and Loki greeted everyone separately after he stormed off due to your tense conversation earlier. Hopefully it didn't look too strange to Odin and the people of Asgard that he didn't want to be seen with you at the moment. Although, people were quite aware that the prince was not as boisterous and friendly as his brother, Thor.

It had come to your realization that this grand betrothal and wedding had yet another motivation, aside from the secret Odin and Karnilla were keeping hidden about the peace treaty. It was obvious that Odin was attempting to improve Loki's reputation to the people by making him appear more likable with your marriage to him.

To outsiders of the palace, not much is known about either of the prince's private lives. While growing up in Nornheim, the only thing you were aware of was that whenever Loki and Thor were together, they had an affinity for causing trouble in the palace and in other realms. Since Loki was a sorcerer and unlike most of Asgard's renowned warriors, there was more doubt sown among the people about his trustworthiness whenever an incident occurred.

That's all you really knew about the trickster god. You were curious to learn more about him, but not curious enough to halt your plans of scheming an escape.

You didn't want to be a pawn in whatever twisted game the palace was playing.

Recently though, the atmosphere of Asgard had changed. It was likely that Thor's coronation was coming up soon as Odin was more stern than usual, so both of the princes had been better behaved.

You held your fake smile wide and proud, for hours upon hours until people finally began to return to their homes from the reception. You said goodbye to your family, Karnilla, and plenty of other guests from different realms you had just met, until only the residents of the palace remained. You and Loki exchanged another brief and meaningless conversation at the end of the night. He uttered a "Congratulations, princess" to you in the most unimaginably snide way possible before he retreated back to his quarters.

Would he ever try to get to know you better? Why did he seem so resentful towards you? Your reasons for disliking him were crystal clear, he was far too arrogant to hang around for long. But having a bad first impression with him and you not being from a noble family did not seem like strong enough reasons for him to dislike you so much. There had to be something else.

You thought again about how this wedding had been a symbol of peace and unity between Asgard's governing palace and Nornheim. Could you really be selfish enough to ruin that? If you found a way to escape, would you try to?

From Odin and Karnilla's perspective, people's lives were on the line for this. Supposedly the protection of the entirety of Nine Realms. You really had no right to try to obstruct their plans with your selfish desires.

But they also had no right to take your life away.

You hated this monarchist regime. Asgard had been like this for centuries, even before Odin was king, and you couldn't do anything to change that. You either had to learn to live with this life or leave here forever.

You had to admit that Loki had a point the first night you met him. You should be grateful for this opportunity. For now, you'd pretend to be. You could only pretend because that shining, glittering Bifrost was so tempting to you. It called you to escape to a life where you could be unconditionally free and your true self.

And there was a strong, undeniable part of you that needed that type of liberty to thrive. A part of you that awakened at moments you couldn't control. Much to your chagrin, Loki brought that part out of you. He represented all of the things you hated most about the palace and here, you were nothing more but another facade of it.