come home

a/n: tadaaa i made it a story!! you guys seemed to rlly like this universe i made, sooo story it is. the new part is alr uploaded, so check that out if you've read the 1st & 2nd chapter from my oneshot book.

for those who haven't, this 1st chapter is based a little on taylor swift's "ours" mv. then i just kinda went with it.

i hope yall like it!

×+×+×+×

Miranda Bailey rolled her eyes as she walked around Seattle Grace. Her feet were aching, and her stomach needed some food ASAP, but that wasn't what was making her so irritated.

She was on the phone with her husband, Benjamin Warren, who was a trauma surgeon in the army, and apparently, he can't go home this weekend.

"You have been gone for almost a year now," she was saying, "and when you confirm to me that you're going home this weekend, you cancel at the last minute?"

Ben was quiet for a few minutes. "I'm sorry, Miranda."

His somber voice made Miranda's eyes water. She looked up, trying to hold the tears back. When she knew it wasn't pulling back, she walked into an empty storage room, and cried.

"Baby, are you okay? You don't usually cry..." he trailed off.

Miranda scoffed. "Yeah, well, my husband usually comes home to me in about 3 months, and I'm very well used to that, so forgive me if I'm not jumping for joy right now."

"I'd come home if I could, Miranda, you know that."

She rolled her eyes. She can't deal with this right now. "Whatever, I'll call you tomorrow."

She could hear him hesitate to let her go, but then he sighed. "Okay. I love you."

Miranda huffed. "I love you too," she murmured.

The call ended, and she can't help the tears falling on her cheeks.

×+×+×+×

The next few days, her mood has worsened tenfold. One of her long-time patients, Jeremiah Tate, died. And she was ignoring all of Ben's calls.

Miranda knew Richard called him about Jeremiah, but she can't hear her husband's voice right now, or else she'll break down. And she didn't need that. So, she worked her ass off, only sleeping when she was exhausted or if her emotional state dropped to an unbearable level.

Callie walked to her, as she paused to touch the wall. She was so hungry. "Hey, you okay?"

The short woman nodded. "Fine."

"You don't look fine," the Ortho surgeon retorted.

No one knew about her marriage, except for the Chief and Callie because she liked her privacy. The two were the only ones who knew because they've known her since she was in her intern year, and back then, Ben was still here.

"If you must know, Ben isn't coming home this weekend." Miranda gritted her teeth.

Callie's face dropped. "Oh. I thought he'd been gone for 8 months now, he's still not coming back?"

Miranda shook her head. "Jeremiah Tate died on my watch this week, too."

"Tate?" She frowned. "As in..."

"The one with the cystic fibrosis and knew more than I did back in our intern year."

"Oh, shit."

"Yeah." Miranda dropped her head. The tears were threatening to come out of the corner of her eyes. "Okay, enough chatting, get back to work," she snarled, making her friend back away.