danger, danger

Ben smiled as he walked in Seattle Grace hospital.

If he was being honest, he missed it. He did operate back in Baghdad but it never felt safe there.

Here, in Seattle, is where he learned to wield a scalpel, where he learned all of the basics. Here is where he built a life with Miranda. This was his home.

Looking around, he caught a glimpse of Richard's head, and he was talking to Addison Montgomery.

He grinned. He loved that woman. She was one of Miranda's friends. They started becoming friends one night when Addison was on a day off and got drunk, baring herself to his wife.

She'd told him about it in a phone call when she got home, and he'd laughed his ass off, especially when the redhead called Miranda, 'Amanda.'

Ben walked to them, his grin going up to his ears. "Dr. Webber, Addie."

The two looked up at him, surprised. "Warren," Richard blinked.

"Hey."

Addie frowned. "Did Callie call you?"

Richard looked at her and shook his head. "That doesn't make sense, Iraq is almost 13 hours away."

Ben looked between the two of them, confused. "Uh, what is going on? I'm here to surprise Miranda."

Addie sighed. "Ben… something happened…"

×+×+×+×

Her eyes fluttered open.

Suddenly, there was a small pain in her back. She groaned, squinting. The light above her was so damn irritating.

"Mandy, shh, calm down, tell me what's wrong," a female voice said near her ear, which she recognized as Callie's.

Miranda groaned again, and opened her eyes, braving the bright, bright light above her. "Callie? Wh… what happened?"

The dark-haired surgeon, who was sitting on a chair beside her bed, sniffled. "God, I thought something happened when they paged me. Don't scare me like that again!"

"What happened?" She asked again, sternly this time, holding her baby bump. She was worried. All she remembered was going to surgery, and nothing after that. What if something was wrong with her baby?

"Hey, hey. It's fine, don't worry, she's fine." Callie grabbed her hand and squeezed. "Your baby's fine. But you collapsed, and I know you know that's something to be worried about."

Miranda's eyes teared up, and she nodded. She looked down at her stomach, caressing it with care. She didn't know what she'd do if she lost her baby girl. She looked back up at her best friend. "Okay, what really happened, what caused this?"

Callie sat up straight. "Addison said it was because of stress and anxiety. And your blood pressure dropped. She thinks you had some Braxton-Hicks too, didn't you?" Miranda nodded mutely as Callie continued. "This is about Ben, isn't it?"

Before she could respond (in which it would be yes), the door opened.

Ben stood there, panting, his eyes worried and filled with tears. "Miranda?"

Miranda sat up, still careful, since her body was a little sore. "Benjamin Warren."

He walked to her, and Callie left, giving them privacy.

He hugged Miranda immediately, holding on to her as if she was going to disappear.

Miranda smiled softly, inhaling Ben's cologne. Her arms went around his back, and she caressed his head as his lips kissed her cheeks and neck, wherever he could reach.

Ben pulled away from the embrace, but he found ways of holding her hand or her stomach. He looked in her eyes, and planted a passionate kiss on her lips.

She moaned, her arms going around his neck, pulling her closer. She missed him so much; his touch and his kisses.

With that, they pulled away, and she smacked the back of his head. "That's for staying way longer than you were supposed to."

He chuckled softly, and looked down, ashamed. He wasn't expecting it when she smacked him again. "Hey!"

"And that was for all the stress you caused me," she murmured, looking down at her bump.

Ben frowned, and tilted her chin up. His eyes were filled with remorse. He kissed her forehead, and her nose, then laid his forehead against hers. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he whispered, and both of their cheeks glistened with tears.

Miranda shook her head. "I can't believe you left me all these months, Benjamin," she scoffed, pulling away from his touch. He didn't speak, knowing what he did. "You can go."

His head snapped up, and he tried to reach for her. She snarled at him. "Miranda-

"No, I've been doing fine without you, I can continue to do so." She turned around, tears pricking at her eyelids. She didn't want him to go; she needed him. But anger was vibrating in her stomach. She didn't want to, but she was suddenly blaming him for almost losing their child.

She heard him sigh, and move away. She almost turned her head, but her hurt kept her still.

The door opened, and closed. Her heart fell to the pit of her stomach. Did he really leave her?

Miranda turned, fury engulfing her little body, but it went away as she gasped when she spotted Ben still standing by the door.

The edges of his lips lifted into a small smirk. "Did you really think I'd leave?" Her mouth hung open, and she closed it. She opened them again, but nothing came out. "You can't get rid of me that easily, Miranda Bailey-Warren."

She blushed. "Come here," she demanded.

His smirk grew as he walked to her bed. She moved as carefully as possible to make space for him.

Ben looked up at her with questioning eyes. "Are you sure? I… I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't," she assured him, and patted the small space.

He smiled softly, and climbed up. He spooned her almost immediately, as if they were puzzle pieces, now complete.

"I'm sorry, baby," he mumbled at her neck. "I'm so sorry."

Miranda reached her hand around to caress his head. "It's… it's not okay, but we'll work through this, okay?"

He nodded, and kissed the back of her neck. "I love you, Miranda."

"I love you, Benjamin."