1

I was at the camp doing what was needed to do. Some members of the group went to get some supplies since we were running out. My brother, Daryl, was out hunting while my other brother, Merle, was with the group that went out.

"Maddie, can you watch Carl while I go in the woods to get some food?" Lori asked.

"Of course I will, be safe." I replied, slightly smiling.

She walked away and a few minutes later, Shane followed her. I have a feeling something is happening between those two but I didn't want to say anything and cause trouble. Carl was with Sophia playing and I saw Carol sitting and watching them. I walked over and sat down beside her.

"Hi Carol." I said, smiling.

"Hi Maddie, how are you?" She asked.

I've liked Carol when I first met her but her husband gives off a bad vibe and I worry about her. Everyone here does but we can't say anything or else her husband, Ed, would get mad.

"I'm great, how are you Carol?" I replied. I saw her look at Ed before responding.

"I'm good, thanks for asking." She answered, when Ed came over and joined us.

"What are you two ladies talking about?" He asked, glaring at me. I don't know what his problem is but I didn't want to start anything.

"We were just chatting Ed." I responded.

A few minutes later, Lori and Shane both returned. We all soon heard a loud alarm coming up the mountain and we saw a red car driving to the camp. The car came to a stop and Glenn stepped out.

"Pop the damn hood!" Shane hollered. Glenn popped the hood and Shane disconnected the battery and the alarm shut off.

"Is my sister okay?" Amy asked Glenn. "Is my sister okay?" She asked, again. He turned to her before responding.

"She's okay, she's okay!" He answered.

A few minutes later, a white truck pulled up. Everybody got out of the truck. Andrea came running to Amy and they hugged.

"How did all of y'all get out of there?" Shane asked.

"The new guy....he helped us." Glenn answered.

"New guy? Who's this new guy?" Shane questioned.

"Hey helicopter man, come on out!" Morales shouted, towards the truck. "He's a cop just like you Shane." He said, looking at Shane. A man then walked over and I heard Carl yell out.

"Dad!" Carl shouted, running to the man.

Lori followed behind him and hugged the man as well

Lori followed behind him and hugged the man as well. I looked at Shane and he had a surprised look on his face but it also looked like he wasn't happy about the man showing up.

It was now dark and we were all sitting around the campfire except Carol, Ed and Sophia. I learned the mans name was Rick and he was talking about how he woke up to all this. We heard a log being added to a fire behind us and Shane spoke.

"You outta rethink that log Ed." Shane said.

"It's cold, man." Ed responded.

"Cold doesn't change the rules. Keep that fire low so we can't be spotted from a distance." Shane replied.

"I said it's cold." Ed responded. Shane was getting frustrated and he stood up, walking over to him.

"Pull that log out." Shane demanded.

"You pull it out." Ed said.

Ed is getting on my nerves and he's getting on Shane's nerves as I can tell. Carol pulled log out to make Shane happy and for Ed to calm down.

"Christ." Shane said, before stomping the fire out. "How are you tonight Carol and Sophia?" He asked.

"We're fine, just fine." Carol replied.

Shane came back and sat on the ground next to me. We continued talking until we decided to turn in for the night.

"Goodnight Carl, you sleep well." I said, hugging him.

"I will. Goodnight Maddie." Carl responded, walking in his tent. I went to my tent and laid down to sleep.