Innocence ends

Not this one. Not again. This can't be happening again!
I could feel my blood boiling and hear the pounding of my heart raging in my ears. I released a piercing scream of pain and sorrow that left nothing but the numbing sound of a lingering ringing. It lulled my mind to shut off from the weight and exhaustion of watching another beautiful soul be burnt to ash.

Some call us dryads or wood nymphs but no matter our label we are nature and we care for nature. All nymph sisters of every kind work in harmony to keep the natural flow of life and all we desire is to see the earths beauty flourish and to dance and play and wrap ourselves in the warmth of its nourishment. We are free spirits in every sense of the word and we only truly have two rules: don't be seen and don't intervene!

It had been a warm beautiful day and I was bathing in the sunlight, stretching my leaves to the sky when I heard her giggles and laughs in the distance. I stepped out from my tree and quietly made my way to her. She was shaking her branches and allowing the nuts to fall for the squirrels as she giggled at the sight of them scurrying around to gather them as quickly as possible. I pounced on her low hanging branch surprising her as she came tumbling out of her tree.
Ah Phinx! You about scared the bark right off my branches ! 

Well someone had to help your case of the giggles. I sassed back grinning from ear to ear.
That's for hiccups you twit!

Hey but you stopped giggling didn't you? Now can we go I'm bored?!

Oh alright I'm coming I'm coming!

Elowen could be so dramatic but she was my oldest friend and even after all these centuries she still could be so innocent. I rolled my eyes and grinned to myself at her childish retort as I waited for her to catch up. We'd planned to venture to the outskirts of our boarders today to see who we could lure in. It had been awhile since either of us had some pampering and we were well over due for some self nurturing. We could only go to the edge of the nearest village before we were too far from our trees so we would sing our song from the tree line when someone caught our fancy. 

Look the leaves are dancing for us Eli!

Well what are you waiting for silly they're calling us!

We giggled in joy as we swayed and danced with the swirling leaves just letting our spirits feel the earths rhythm flow through us. As the wind died down we found comfy places to watch, making sure we had the best view possible from the tree line.

We waited quietly as the sun began to set before we saw some very strong well defined specimen who were all laughing and carrying some kind of liquid with them and I wanted to laugh too. Their joy should be for me and I think it will be so I began to sing to them softly so that my voice carried through the air

" Come my darling
Come to me
Come and you'll be free
Leave your worries and your fears
Bring yourself to me"

Eli began as well singing

"Leave not any doubts behind
For none will bring you peace of mind
Bring only your heart's desire
Loved in me your heart required"

As we walked back to our trees the men followed in awe of us entranced by our melodies. We could keep our new pets for years like this before they'd leave us and they'll love and spoil us in every way.

I don't know why but eventually they seem to age and one day they become scared or angry and they just flee, but by the time they reach the village they're left lost and confused like they've forgotten themselves and us. It's so insulting that they'd just forget us so we find someone new to love us. I mentally pout at the thought of being forgotten before pulling my new pet into my tree with me and wrapping my vines around us as he feels my every curve and begins ravishing my neck with his lips. His hands wander and grab rough and firmly. One grips tight to my ass as he gives it a firm smack while pulling and tugging at my nipple sending a tingling sensation through my nerves.

Do you love me my pet?

Yes of course I need you. Please let me love you goddess

Is that what you think I am?

It's what you are to me

So show me exactly how you treat your goddess then

The sun began to rise on our long heated night of fun and my pet was now massaging my every ache. Some he caused so it's only fair he fix it. I softly giggle at the thought, knowing a light blush has taken over my cheeks.

I'm glad my goddess is pleased. He whispers into my ear before tugging at its end with his teeth and returning to his task.

I am but I'm beginning to feel hungry. I say with a suggestive pout.

I'll fix it immediately! He says before running off to find food

In his absence I make my way to Elowen's tree to see how her night went but as I get closer I can feel the earths disturbance and my nose is assaulted by the thick scent of smoke. I take off running to my friend as I see her screaming, reaching out for my help as her body is slashed and burning. That's when I see it. Villagers cutting and burning her tree, her very essence, her soul. I pull her body to the lake near by and pull her in with me hoping to slow the burn.

Please stay with me! please! I cry out to her

Her screams begin to soften as the water runs over her. The pain is still evident on her face as the light in her begins to dim. She struggles to speak as she reaches for my face, cradling my cheek in her palm

Seraphina Kekoa we both know it won't it won't work. As my tree dies so shall I. You have to let me go now.

I won't! I can't! Haven't they taken enough?! I choke out the words between my sobs, the anger and pain clear in my voice.

This is their nature and they'll burn us all one day. Thank you for being here. I didn't wanna die alone. I'm scared phinx. It burns. It hurts so bad! I'll tell the others how much you've missed them I promise. Stay strong phinx the forest is yours to look after now. Take care of her for me.

Every shaky word said through tears as she breaks my heart in two while I watch her fade away on the lake shore, tears flooding from my eyes.

I will. I promise I will! My words cracking under the agony of her loss as I lowly speak this vow to her leaning close to her ear to ensure she hears every word in time.

I cradle her to my chest in one last embrace before her body turns to dust as the last of her tree burns. My last friend taken by another wretched human. A plague to this earth that takes and takes until nothing is left.

Not this one. Not again. This can't be happening again!