Chapter 1: Look Like You Know

"Damn girl, you look hot" Amanda leaned against the door frame of the bathroom.

"I feel ridiculous" I laughed looking over at her.

It had been forever since I dressed up to go out. Short tight dress, high heels, hair curled, makeup subtle yet striking. I felt silly.

"Girl, you're a knockout and everyone at that bar is going to know it tonight" she smiled at me before walking out.

"Sure" I said to myself before turning to follow her.

The only mission for that night? A one night stand. I had been far too serious for too long and look what it got me. A broken engagement, starting my life all over and a perfect view of my fiancé with another woman when I walked in on them.

I didn't need serious, I didn't need commitment. I needed to know I was still desirable, that I could still have fun and that I could still be just me.

"It's not as packed in here as I thought" Amanda quietly yelled over to me.

She was right. The bar wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be and that heavily decreased my chances of finding a good candidate.

"Still worth a drink" I giggled walking towards the bar.

May as well have a drink since we were already there. Who knows maybe we would be surprised.

I made my way to the bar in an attempt to grab a drink for myself and Amanda while she stayed back to hold our table. I was patiently waiting when I felt a presence next to me.

I turned and was met with a tall, dark haired male. He was devastatingly attractive.

A small smile grew on his face. His smile made me blush and slightly turn away with my own smile. I tried to avoid eye contact with the male to not make things anymore awkward.

The bartender finally approached us and asked the male what he wanted to drink. The male quickly gave him his order and turned to me.

"And whatever she's having" he smiled at me.

"Oh, thank you but I couldn't. I'm buying for my friend too" I explained with an appreciative smile.

"Ok then, whatever her and her friend are having" he grinned over at me.

I wasn't winning this one.

I gave my order to the bartender quickly and turned to the male as the bartender left to get the drinks.

"Thank you, that was very sweet of you" I gave him a smile.

"It was nothing" he breathed a laugh before extending a hand. "Mat"

"Y/N" I shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you. Are you and your friend here with anyone?" He asked questioningly.

"Nope it's just me and Amanda" I giggled lightly at the thought of the recent events.

"You guys want to join us? I'm just over there with some buddies, they won't mind. Especially if you're friend is as gorgeous as you" he chuckled almost nervously as the bartender brought the drinks back.

I said a thank you to the bartender as I reached for the drinks.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm so stupid, I feel like such an idiot" Mat laughed taking a quick drink of one of the drinks he had.

"What?" I asked confused.

"You're engaged" he motioned to the ring on my finger I had still forgotten to take off. "And I came over here like an idiot to get a drink so I could meet you. Good one Mat" he took another drink.

"Oh" I laughed looking at my ring. "No, I'm not. I mean I was, that's over. I'm single I just...keep forgetting to take this off." I pulled the ring off my finger. "Actually you know what? Here" I handed the ring out to him.

"What?" He looked at me confused.

"I don't want it" I shrugged.

"And I do? Why don't you sell it or something?" He laughed.

"Because then someone else would get it, and that's bad luck. You know the ring of a failed engagement"

"I'm sure it's not that bad of luck"

"I walked in on him with another girl less than a week after he proposed" I looked at him seriously.

"Destroy it" he laughed making me giggle.

"Can you at least put it in your pocket? If I remember it at the end of the night then ok if not it's yours" I held it out again.

He took the ring out of my hand and shoved it in his pocket.

"Now, will you come join us?" He motioned his head.

"Let me grab Amanda, where are you guys at?"

"Back corner" he pointed in the direction of their table. "But I'll come with you" he smiled moving to follow me.

I grabbed Amanda, introduced the two and followed Mat back to his table with Amanda following us.

"Guys this is Y/N and Amanda" Mat motioned to us as Amanda took a seat at the other end of the table.

Before I could make a move to take a seat anywhere else, Mat quickly pulled me to sit next to him. I wasn't going to protest.

When someone started complaining about how they ran out of their drink so fast it made me want to laugh. Mat chuckled a bit and leaned over the table to give his drink to the male who was now without a drink. He made sure to lay a hand on a thigh of my crossed legs as he leaned over, a small smile gracing my lips as he did so.

When he pulled away he kept his hand on my thigh as he leaned the other way to speak to someone quickly before waving down a waitress for another drink. I stared at his hand settled on my thigh before looking up at him with a smile. It was almost like he was marking me, making sure to let everyone know he was interested.

For the night, he could mark me all he wanted.

Amanda's eyes fell to where Mat's hand lazily rested on my thigh as he spoke to the waitress before a smirk made its way to her face.

"You need anything?" Mat turned to me with a smile.

"No, thank you though" I returned the smile.

"Amanda?" He looked at her.

"I'm good thank you" she smiled. "He's awesome" she mouthed to me as Mat turned to speak to the waitress.

"So, are you always this sweet to girls you just met?" I giggled grabbing my drink.

He leaned into me slightly brushing his lips against my ear as he spoke.

"When they look like you, definitely" he spoke gently giving my thigh a squeeze.

I still had some more feeling out to do, but from everything that had happened so far...I just may have found my perfect candidate for my mission.