Chapter 3

Mr. Bingley sat in the plush leather wing chair in front of the large figured mahogany partner's desk in Mr. Darcy's study. He had nearly dropped his glass of Madeira when Mr. Darcy confessed his part in keeping Mr. Bingley apart from his beloved Jane.

Rising to his feet, the young gentleman berated his friend: "You mean to tell me that Jane was in town for months and you hid it from me?"

Mr. Darcy stood as well, but the floor lamp behind him along with the short desk lamp threw his countenance in shadow. "I apologize, Charles. At the time, I thought it was best."

For his part, Mr. Bingley could not detect remorse on his friend's countenance. Was it there but not easily seen in the dim light? "She visited my sisters, and I was completely unaware of this?"

Only when his friend sat down in his own leather wing chair behind the desk could Mr. Bingley see that his friend was remorseful. "She did," Mr. Darcy said. We, your sisters and I, thought we were doing what was best for you, Charles. I have come to understand that we were completely off the mark regarding Jane's feelings for you. She did care for you, very much."

Mr. Bingley was torn. He wanted to berate his best friend for interfering with the love of his life, yet he wanted to know more about what Jane thought of him. "You mean to say she likes me? You know this for certain?"

The other gentleman nodded. "She cared a great deal for you. I was told she was sad for a very long time after you left Netherfield."

At this confirmation, Mr. Bingley positively beamed. "So you do not mind then if I go back to Hertfordshire and call upon Jane? Ask permission to make her my wife?"

Mr. Darcy looked at his friend with a small smile. "Do you need my permission?"

The first gentleman's disposition remained as joyous. "No. No, I do not at all!"

The friends drank to Mr. Bingley's love. He quickly left to give instructions that they were to leave as soon as possible to return to Hertfordshire.

Mr. Darcy downed the rest of the Madeira in his glass and studied it. Would Elizabeth feel the same towards him as she had at Lambton and Pemberley? Would he be able to show her that he was a changed man?

#####################

Since the Gardiners had not seen Jane or Elizabeth since Mr. Bennet's funeral, the Gardiners asked the girls not to be so hasty to find employment. They wanted to visit with their nieces before they started a life that would take them away from the Gardiners, possibly permanently.

After a few days, Mrs. Gardiner needed to help Mr. Gardiner with their import and export business. With the Gardiner children kept occupied by Jane and Elizabeth, that left Mrs. Gardiner much time to address correspondence, do the sums, and complete other paperwork that took Mr. Gardiner away from the important part of the business. Not having to devote hours to these tasks freed up Mr. Gardiner to find buyers much more quickly.

It was such a boost to their business, in fact, that the Gardiners conferred upon the matter and decided to ask Jane to be employed as their governess. It was not a position they had thought they could afford, but after several days of increased profits and first chances at buying newly imported wares at low cost, they decided it was well worth the expense.