Chapter 58. Hazy silhouettes

Despite being very tired, Shen could not sleep. Strange... or not strange, all things considered... the pain in his chest spread throughout his body, preventing him from relaxing and closing his eyes. And also thoughts. In his head, a complete chaos was going on from scraps of half-thought phrases, rushing in a circle in the skull.

Shen curled up in a ball on the bed, hiding his head under the covers. That little trifle that could still give him back his childhood illusion of security for a while. All is well under this blanket.

Shen felt a cold tear roll down the bridge of his nose and cheek. For the first time here, he was not crying in pain.

It was not only a resentment against Muan or the Lords, he understood why everything had turned upside down like that. It was resentment on the whole world, where he was invited to exist in this way. Even if he died already in his own world, he would rather be born again than remember everything and live in the body of another person, he... No.

He was madly delighted with this strange world. He loved the view from his peak, loved to fly on a sword and feel spiritual energy in his hands, reveled in the idea that people and spirits so clearly coexist in one world. He liked the idea that, thanks to the strength of the spirit, people are able to live forever, and that persistent cultivation opens up unlimited possibilities for a person ... Ultimately, he would not exchange all this for his boring reality.

He calmed down a little, thinking this way. In fact, he didn't want to escape from here. But... But this man... Shen took a deep breath. Maybe trying to fix his mistakes was a bad idea from the start? This seems to be impossible. He is not strong enough to overcome this hatred.

But, at least he knows the future of this person. Even if everything goes wrong and the protagonist hates him again, he knows the events leading up to his death. There is a chance to run far, far away, run away and...

[System notification], System said in a rather dry tone. [You can't escape the plot. Otherwise, if you try to dodge, ignore the plot, or hinder its development by escaping, you will die right there, no matter how many points you get.]

Shen curled his lips in an ironic grin.

«Is that how? Won't you even let me dream?»

[I'm just warning you about the possible consequences of your planned actions.]

Shen paused.

«System.»

[Yes?]

«I want to sleep.»

[So sleep.]

«I can't.»

The system did not respond for a while.

[I don't understand,] she then confessed.

Shen smiled.

«Sing me a song,» he invented. «Only certainly louder and in our language. For words to drown my thoughts.»

The system did not answer for a while, and Shen decided that she would ignore his request as usual, but then she sang a song about a saucepan in a cheerful, changed voice, translating it on the go.

"A little saucepan is boiling on the fire, a big saucepan is boiling on the floor, and the cat is «asleep in peace»..." Shen muttered when she was silent.

System sang the song a second time.

The morning of the Lord of the Cursed Peak began only after lunch, but still this time was not enough to digest everything that happened. Now, if no one had touched him for at least two more days, then he would have been able to react to everything more calmly and condescendingly. But he needs to deal with everything right now: go check Annis's condition, find out what Shian did with Letis Lis, and finally prove the innocence of the villainous Shen.