Chapter 4: A Shocking Surprise

Nina hesitated and she was conflicted about what she would tell Luna but deep down, she knew she should tell the truth. She would feel better afterwards. So that's what she did. She told her best friend everything. From the way she felt when Gastón left to getting together with Eric to breaking up with him to realizing what she truly felt when Gastón went to Oxford.

"Looking back on everything, I realized that we shouldn't have broken up. There was no point," Nina looked sad admitting this but continued anyway, "I know we could have figured it out. We were strong enough to have a long disctance relationship and thinking back, it wouldn't even have been for that long since I wanted to go to Oxford as well," she sighed, "How did everything go so wrong?" 

Luna was speechless, she knew Nina still had feelings for her ex-boyfriend but she didn't know how strong they still were. This has made her even more determined to get them back together no matter what. 

She thought of saying something so she ended up saying: "I can't possibly understand how you feel right now but I do know that life can take an unexpected turn and it will all be okay in the end. If your love is strong enough, you will get through anything, I'm sure of that so don't give up. You'll find your way." 

Nina just nodded, she wasn't truly convinced about what her best friend was telling her but she hoped that there will be light at the end of the tunnel, even if the tunnel seems too dark for it to be possible. 

"I hope you're right. I really don't like feeling like this." 

"Just look at me and Matteo or Ámbar and Simón. It seemed hopeless for all of us but look at us now. Me and Matteo are engaged and Ámbar and Simón are already married and living their best life right now, visiting Simón's family in Mexico."

Nina smiled at Luna's shot at trying to cheer her up. The image of her friends being happy and in love did cheer her up and have her hope that she would have a chance to feel like that as well at some point.

"I don't know but I don't want to talk about this right now. We need to make plans for your wedding. That's the priority at the moment," she tried to change the subject because she didn't want to feel sad anymore. She needed a distraction.

Her trick worked since Luna started talking about her plans but she knew Luna was just humouring her and not letting it go anytime soon and she didn't know if she liked it just yet.

***

Luna and Nina were still talking when Matteo came up behind Luna and startled her by giving a kiss on her cheek. He chuckled when she jumped a little from her seat and she laughed along with him.

When she saw him, she was dying to ask him how his meeting with Gastón went but she couldn't ask him just yet. Nina still didn't know about his arrival and the role he was going to have in their wedding. She was a  little afraid of her reaction but she had to find a way to prepare her for what's going to happen. A meeting was going to be inevitable between them and Nina wouldn't like a surprise like this.

Matteo was a little nervous to see that Nina was here too. He should have expected to see her since they're still in Jam & Roller but he believed that Luna was taking her out to eat somewhere else. He had to be careful, Gastón was with him and he was waiting outside because he wasn't ready to go back in yet. Matteo was sure that if he stayed inside for too long, his best friend would come looking for him.

"Hey, chico fresa. What are you doing here?" Luna didn't seem to notice he was nervous and that was a good thing but there was still a possibility that Nina would notice it. She was after all very observant.

"I'm just stopping by to get a smoothie," he said and looked back to see if his friend had followed him, he didn't.

Luna noticed this and asked if everything was alright. "Everything's fine, there's just someone waiting for me outside," he gave her a subtle hint.