Chapter 6: Meeting Face To Face

A thousand thoughts and emotions went through Gastón as he saw Nina standing in the dining room right in front of him. He hadn't expected this at all, just like he didn't expect to see Nina at Jam & Roller after so many years.

But he had to know that there was a chance she'd be there. The skating rink is still his friends' favorite hangout even after 5 years. 

When he came face to face with Nina at Luna and Matteo's place, he couldn't believe his eyes. She was still as beautiful as he remembered. He had to surpress the urge to go over to where she was standing. He wanted to touch her face just to make sure that she was real. 

He had imagined this moment over and over again. He missed her so much but he wasn't so sure if she felt the same way.

So he stayed abroad because he couldn't even stand the thought of her not feeling anything anymore.

But no matter what he did, she didn't leave his thoughts and as soon as he heard that his best friend was getting married, he took the chance to find out for good if he could be together with Nina again. 

He had no idea what was happening in Nina's life. He didn't want to know so he didn't ask. He wanted her to be happy, even if it was without him but that doesn't mean he liked the idea of constantly hearing how she moved on and got together with someone else.

Nina and Gastón stood there for what seemed like forever, just staring at each other. All the emotions they felt were mixed but the feelings that were at the forefront were happiness to see each other again but awkwardness as well.

Out of all the scenarios he played out in his head about meeting her again, he didn't expect this. It felt so weird being able to look into her eyes again. It almost felt like a dream. He didn't know what to say to her. 

Luna and Matteo stayed quiet in the background, not wanting to interrupt their moment. This was something they had to do by themselves, Nina and Gastón needed to talk.

"Hi," Gastón said quietly, "I didn't expect to see you."

He sounded a little unsure of himself and he wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not.

"Hey," she smiled shyly at him.

"Well, my best friend lives here too so I come around a lot," she answered the silent question as to why she was here.

"Right," he sounded more confident than he felt.

"So, are you joining this dinner?" he tried to keep the conversation up. It might be awkward between them but he missed talking to her.

"If you don't mind," she answered.

"No, not at all. It would be fun to have dinner with all four of us together again," he smiled at her reassuringly.

"Luckily, there's enough food for everyone and I made Pasta a pesto. The most delicious meal I ever made," Matteo broke the silence, trying to lighten the mood, "I'll go get it. Luna, would you like to help me?"

"Sure, you two can just sit down and relax. We'll be right back," Luna hurried over to the kitchen. Leaving Nina and Gastón alone in the dining room.

Unbeknownst to them, the walls were listening in on them.

They waited until the couple left the room before they started to talk again.

"So I see you've returned from the United Kingdom," Nina started and couldn't stop her curiosity, "Are you staying here for good now?"

She secretly hoped he would but he didn't need to know that.

Gastón answered honestly: "Yeah, I've found a job here in Buenos Aires. I've been abroad long enough."