Chapter 8: The Next Step

At the Benson mansion, Luna was pacing back and forth in the kitchen, she was lost in her own thoughts. Her parents were helping with the set-up of her and Matteo's engagement party. Matteo was leaning against the kitchen island looking worried at Luna.

Her parents were the ones who suggested to hold the party here. While Luna moved out to live with Matteo, Monica and Miguel were able to stay at the mansion along with her grandfather. It seemed like the perfect location for this party, a lot of memories were made here.

"I'm not sure this is a good idea, this could be a disaster", Luna said after a long moment of silence.

When she finally started talking, Matteo couldn't take it anymore and stepped forward to stop Luna from pacing any more. With a hand on her cheek, he turned her head so he could look into her eyes. His other hand was holding hers. 

"You have to trust me, Gastón agreed with it so it must mean it really is a good idea," he paused and then he said, "Besides, I only have good ideas. There possibly can't go anything wrong."

She glared at him when he started to smirk and said: "If I had a nickle for every time you said that and it all blew up in your face. Your ideas aren't always great, chico fresa."

"Asking you to marry me was still one of my greatest ideas," he gave her a bright smile, trying to distract her from all the plans gone wrong.

"Flattery isn't going to work I'm afraid. I still feel like this is a bad idea," she couldn't hold back the worries. She couldn't stop thinking about what Nina might think if they did what they were planning to do.

"Luna, listen," he started and laid both his hands on her cheeks, "This was our plan from the start and we came up with it together. You were so sure it was going to work. Why are you doubting this now?"

"Because we didn't plan on letting either of them in on what our motive was to ask them to be our witnesses. Now your best friend knows what we're up to."

"Technically, no. He doesn't know. He just thought I came up with the idea on the spot. He wasn't aware we were already planning to force the best man and the maid of honour to spend time together planning stuff for the wedding. Besides, Gastón loved the idea of getting to spend more time with Nina, especially when he has an excuse."

"I'm guessing it's a good sign that Gastón is on board but I'm still worried," she said honestly.

The statement brought a smile to Matteo's face and said: "You're always worried."

He then kissed her forehead and she closed her eyes at the touch. Her shoulders slightly relaxed, his touch always seemed to calm her down and he knew it. He tucked her head under his chin and embraced her to prove it.

"It's not fair that you always seem to calm me down, even if we're in the middle of an idiotic plan," she said against his chest and it made his hold on her tighter.

"Don't underestimate your power to calm me down as well. You forget how many times you pulled me through whenever I was worried about something", he reminded her.

That made her smile and she couldn't wait to get married to him. Having moments like this with him was what she always cherished the most in their long relationship.

"Let's get ready to celebrate our engagement now," he said when he pulled away.

***

Gastón wasn't sure what he was thinking when he agreed to be the one to tell Nina they were going to spend more time together because of their roles in their best friend's wedding.

He knew it would be a good excuse to talk to her again and he was beginning to wonder why he suddenly needed excuses to talk to the girl he loves so much.

He didn't like the distance that was between them now but he knew he was partly at fault for their current situation. So many regrets go through his mind when he tried to find Nina in the crowd in the garden.

He knew Luna had already asked Nina to be her maid of honour and as Matteo told, she was very excited for this role and he couldn't help but wish to see her reaction for himself. Seeing her smile and be excited always seemed to lift him up.

"I see the lost boy has finally returned to his home base," Gastón heard Ámbar's voice next to him and he turned his head to look at her and give her a weak smile.

"Hello to you too, Ámbar. I see you and Simón are still going strong," he greeted her.

He looked at Ámbar's hand that was resting in Simón's and he was happy to see the way they both lit up when he mentioned them.

"Of course we are, I've always thought we were stronger together. Isn't that right, Simón?" Ámbar said with a smile while looking at her boyfriend.

"Yes, bonita," Simón smiled back at her.

"While it's nice to see you two are happy, I have to ask. Have any of you seen Nina? I need to talk to her about something," Gastón interrupted the moment between the two lovebirds.

"Oh, she's in the dining room to make sure everything is going smoothly," Simón was the one who answered.

"Thanks, have fun at the party," he didn't wait for an answer and went straight inside. He couldn't wait any longer to see her. Ámbar and Simón quickly took notice so they left to join the crowd.

***

Nina just finished talking to one of the waiters when she heard someone greeting her and she turned around to see who it was. Her breath caught in her throat when she realized it was Gastón.

"Hey, Gastón, I didn't hear you come in," she greeted him.

"It's okay, you're probably busy coordinating the party as part of your duties," he said while giving her a smile.

Nina was a little confused at his statement and he noticed so he clarified: "Matteo told me you're going to be Luna's maid of honour and I suppose helping with the engagement party is part of your to do list."

"Not really, but I wanted to help so Luna wouldn't have to worry about anything going wrong," she said, trying to hide her nervousness when she realized they were alone now.

"That's nice," after an awkward pause, Gastón continued, "Listen, there's something I need to talk to you about." 

Nina saw his nerves acting up when he was fidgeting in his place which makes her worry.

"What is it?" she said in a soft voice, trying to sound reassuring.

"I'm sure you know by now that Matteo asked me to be his best man..." he looked at her to see her reaction.

"I wasn't sure but I assumed he would ask once I heard you were going to return", she had no idea where this was going but she almost stood on her tiptoes in anticipation.

"Well, he did and I said yes," she could see he wasn't finished and she kept quiet until he told her everything.

"I'm not sure if Luna told you but there are certain responsibilities of both the maid of honour and the best man where they have to work together to make sure the wedding will go smoothly. I was wondering if you were okay with it if we do this together. I know we haven't really talked to one another for a long time," he said and all of a sudden he was very close to her.

Her heart was beating faster at the idea of spending more time with Gastón. She was nervous yet excited about the prospect.

She was lost in though when he called her name, he looked at her expectantly. He was still waiting for her answer.

She didn't have to take long to come up with an answer and said: "Sure, I don't mind." 

He answered her with a smile.

She found herself smiling back at him. She didn't know what to expect when they started work together but she couldn't wait to see what'll happen.

It was a little scary too but she knew that their responsibilities to Luna and Matteo's wedding will give her the answers she needs.

Soon enough, she'll know how Gastón feels and if there's still a chance for them to work it all out.