Chapter 3: High School

Not getting accepted into the school of the gifted, really did take a toll on me. I stopped believing in myself as a writer, I felt like I had no talent. As I slowly started writing again I felt the spark that I once had egnite. I shared my writings with classmates and teachers, and they all said the same thing, "I'm a great writer!" I came to the conclusion that I didn't need an acceptance to a school to validate me as a writer. I know that I am a great writer, and one day I will be a published author!

Everyday in the third period I had spanish class. I always sat in the back of the room in between Bryant and Mathew. Bryant and Mathew are best friends and slowly I became a part of that friendship.Every day we talked about something new and we were always laughing about something stupid.

"Hey guys, guess what?"

"What?" Bryant and Mathew ask simultaneously.

"I made a new friend." I say excitedly.

"Oh cool, what's his name?" Asked Bryant.

"Logan." I say with a smile.

"Where did you meet him?" Asked Mathew.

"He just moved in across the street from me, and yesterday after school I saw him and went to go talk to him."

"That's cool." Mathew said.

"Yea, and oh my God, he is so cute! He has short blonde hair and light brown eyes, he's tall and has a smile that could make someone melt."

"Dreamy." Bryant said mockingly.

We all just laughed.

As the days went on Bryant and I became closer and we started low key flirting with each other. As I was walking outside waiting for my dad to pick me up from school, Bryant ran past me and slapped my butt. I felt my face burning up.

My dad pulled up and I ran to the truck and hopped in.

"Hey, how was your day." He asked.

"Pretty good."

"That's good, any troubles?" He asked.

"No."

"Cool, cool." He said.

When we got home I rushed up the stairs and into my room, I grab my phone and called Logan and eagerly waited for him to answer.

"Hello?" Logan said.

"Logan guess what? I think Bryant likes me." I say bashfully.

"See I told you he probably likes you."

"Yea." I said with a giggle.

Logan and I continued talking for a bit until I had to go eat dinner. I love talking to Logan, he's always there for me when I need someone to talk to, he gives me advice, and always makes sure that I am okay. I don't know what I would do without him.

When I woke up the next morning, I felt great. I couldn't wait to see Bryant. I took a shower and quickly got dressed.

"Sierra, are you ready?" My dad shouts from downstairs.

"Coming." I yelled.

I rushed down the stairs, put my shoes on, and ran out the door. About ten minutes later my dad pulled up to the school. I feel butterflies in my stomach and I can't wait to see Bryant. First and second period dragged on for what seemed like forever. Finally, the third period arrived.

"Hey Sierra." Bryant said.

"Hi." I said shyly.

I sat in my normal seat and tried to be chill, the last thing I wanted was to start acting like a weirdo.

Bryant slips me a note and I open it eagerly. The note reads...I like you a lot and want you to be my girlfriend. Will you go out with me?

Yes or No

I circle yes with a heart around it and slide it back to him, he looks at the note and smiles. At that very moment I was the happiest that I have been in awhile.

In the beginning I was happy with Bryant, we ate lunch together, occasionally we held hands, but as the days went by, my happiness faded. One day in spanish class Bryant leaned over and whispered in my ear, "Don't tell people we go out okay?"

I shook my head in agreeance, but truth be told my feelings were really hurt.

After several months of dating Bryant I wasn't happy at all. Bryant didn't even treat me like a girlfriend, at this point it didn't even feel like we were friends. I wanted to break up with him, but I was worried about his feelings and our friendship.

Another week went by and things between Bryant and I weren't getting any better. As I was at my locker packing my backpack to go home Mathew walked up to me.

"Hey Sierra, umm...Bryant wanted me to tell you that he is breaking up with you."

My heart shattered, but with a straight face I managed to say, "okay, cool."I slam my locker door shut and walk down the stairs and out of the building.

When I got home I walked upstairs to my room, closed the door behind me, I sat on my bed and broke down into tears. I text Logan asking him if he can come over. Within five minutes he's knocking on my bedroom door. I got from off my bed and opened the door.

"What's wrong?" Logan asked with concern.

"Close the door please." I mutter.

Logan shuts the door behind him, "Talk to me."

I threw myself into his arms and started crying my eyes out. "Bryant broke up with me." I sobbed.

Logan held me tight. "I'm sorry hun.He said softly.

"It's not necessarily the fact that he broke up with me that hurts, what hurts even more so is the fact that he got his friend to do it for him. Not only that, but I feel like he broke up with me because he was worried about his reputation or whatever. No one wants to date the ugly girl.

"He didn't deserve you." Logan says softly while caressing my back.

"I feel like an idiot, I didn't want to hurt his feelings and I was concerned about how my actions would affect him, but clearly he couldn't care less about my feelings." I cried.

Sierra listen to me, you are beautiful, amazing, smart, kind and a million other things. He's an asshole and you'll find someone better. Look at me."

I look up at Logan and he wipes my tears away. "You're not going to waste anymore tears on him, he's irrelevant, hold your head up high and know your worth. Logan said.

"Thank you." I said with a slight smile.

That night as I lay in bed I felt better and I knew that I would be okay.