Epilogue

"Just one more step and then we can be done for the day."

Niall doesn't have the energy to nod, all of his focus is entirely on not falling. His hands are clammy as they grip the bars on either side of him, palms so sore that he's sure he's going to be left with blisters.

He takes a breath and pulls his back leg forwards before he sucks in a breath and pulls the other one forwards to meet it too. Then he glances up at Tom with pleading eyes.

The man smiles at him. "Think you can make it back the way you came?" He asks.

Niall wants to cry at the mere thought, and thankfully, Tom seems to joking because he smirks and shakes his head.

"I'm just winding you up. You did good today, kid," he tells him. "I'm not gonna throw you in the deep end our first session back after Christmas, so go rest up and I'll see you back here on Thursday. Okay?"

He lets out a breath of relief as Tom wheels his chair over to him, sinking down into the seat and staying where he is for a moment, legs throbbing in time with his heart. There was a time where he could spend an entire day out exploring with his friends and still his legs wouldn't feel so tired. Now, twenty minutes of stretches followed by ten minutes of walking back and forth on a four or five metre stretch with the support of bars - it leaves him feeling as if he's just run a marathon.

"Thanks," he mumbles, smiling tiredly up at the man.

Tom shakes his head, reaching down to give his shoulder a squeeze. "Just wait 'til Thursday, squirt, you won't be thanking me then," he teases. "Got anyone waiting for you upstairs?"

He shakes his head at that. Dad and Papa are both at work, Harry and Lou are spending New Years Day with Uncle Cal and the others. Jay's busy, his friends are all doing other stuff. Today, he's completely and totally alone in his room - even Isabelle is out with her parents.

He doesn't mind though. This is his third day back at the hospital after his first home leave, and he's still reeling from al the overwhelm of being back there after so long and being surrounded by so many people. He guesses alone time isn't so bad; he should make the most of it while he can - it won't be long until he's back home permanently.

"Honestly? I think I'm just gonna sleep until dinner," he retorts with a small huff of laughter.

Tom shakes his head at him, speaking in a sarcastic tone. "Ah, the life you live, kiddo. I'm jealous, really."

.

Thursday's session goes well enough, but the one that follows is rough. His legs tire quickly, and it's harder to ask to stop when his Dad is there watching with a proud smile - he doesn't want to let him down.

So he pushes himself - his calves are cramping and he's sweating despite the AC blasting in the room. His arms begin to shake when he lets them do most of the work.

"Ease up on the bars, kid. We're trying to build your legs up here," Tom instructs from the sidelines.

He nods, trying to take a deep breath in through his nose and out through his mouth, keeping his gaze on his socked feet.

The moment he eases his grip on the bars, his knees give out and he crumples to the padded floor beneath him. His breath escapes him along with any hope of not screwing up and letting his Dad down.

And he's not sure if it's just because he's tired, or hurting, or if maybe today is just one of those days where he simply feels low, but his eyes begin to burn with in shed tears.

Nobody rushes to catch him or help him up like the first time he'd tried to take a step. Instead, Tom continues his encouragements from beside the bars.