Chapter 7- The June Rebellion

General Jean Maximilien Lamarque was dead and the day was here. Cholera had taken him from the land of the living, and from what I'd heard, the people were enraged. 

A crowd followed his funeral cortege. It stopped at Place Vendôme as they went down a nearby boulevard, people cried, "Down with Louis-Phillipe, long live the Republic!" 

My friend took control of the carriage and diverted it to the Place de la Bastille. They gave fiery speeches about the Republic, and my lion had done an incredible job of stirring the people's hearts. A member of the crowd rose began waving a black-bordered red flag with the words "Liberty or Death" on it, which stirred rebellion. 

Lafayette, who had given a speech about Lamarque, tried to restore order, but it was hopeless. The revolutionaries built their barricade and I prepared to join them. 

I pulled my cloak on and tightened the buckles of my shoes, feeling my heart pounding out of my chest. Enjolras and all of my friends were beginning the revolt, and I had to go. 

As I grabbed a bag from my drawer, I heard a faint voice whisper, "Please don't do it." 

I whirled around to see Marie in my doorway. "What?" 

"You're joining those boys that built that barricade, aren't you? Please don't. Don't help them hurt our family." 

"Marie, you will be just fine," I assured. "We all will be. But the monarchy needs to be dismantled." 

"They'll never win." 

I scoffed. "The people will rise up. Of course we'll win." 

"Evony, you won't. I can guarantee it. You cannot stand against France and win." 

"I don't stand against France. I stand for it." 

"With Bonapartists and republicans? That's ludicrous. That's treason," She hissed, stepping forward. "I can't let you do this. I can't let you go there and get shot. I can't let you hurt our family." 

She shoved the door shut and braced herself against it, preparing for the fight that she knew was coming. I gave one last feeble attempt, saying, "Marie, please. I know you don't understand why I am doing this, but I must. It's for the freedom of the people." 

"I can't." 

"Then you leave me no choice." I grabbed her arm to try to yank her away from the door but she shoved me back. 

We tumbled onto the floor in a mess of trashing limbs and shouted insults. She nearly yanked a chunk of hair from my hair before I pushed her off of me and made a break for it. 

I dashed into the hallway as fast as I could, past startled maids and confused servants. 

"Stop her!" Marie cried. "She's a traitor!" 

No one knew what to do until a pair of guards stepped in front of me. I skidded and switched directions, taking off down a side hallway. They gave chase, demanding I stop as I sprinted. 

Another pair of guards up ahead saw what was happening, but they didn't act fast enough and ended up behind me, too. The third pair was a little faster. One caught my arm, but I kneed him in the crotch and kept fleeing. 

I nearly died going down the stairs when the hem of my dress was caught under my shoe and I tripped, but I pushed myself back up and made my way to the first floor. More maids exclaimed and jumped out of the way as the squad of six guards closed in on me. I'd never make it out one of the doors, so in a split second of madness, I leaped out an open window. 

I tumbled into some manicured bushes, but I got up and kept running. The guards chasing me shouted at the ones on the towers, telling them to close the gates, but their seconds of confusion was all it took for me to get the edge. As the gate began to lower, I charged faster and slid under it at the last second, rolling into a dirt path.