Step One: Survive

Jade and I made our way to the table and sat down next to the Erudite transfer that called me brave for switching factions. "Nikki." I said to him outstretching my arm so he could shake my hand. I never got his name in the cart. "Calum." He said and smiled.
Jade, Calum and I sat there eating everything in sight and getting to know one another.
“Dude, I still can’t believe you got Eric like that! I heard from some people that he is really heartless, cold and isn’t afraid to hurt anyone even if it’s a girl.” Calum said to me before serving himself more Dauntless cake, which is amazing by the way.

“Its just second nature to me. My brother and his friends would mess around with me to tease me and I just learned to not put up with their bullshit. I learned to run faster, hide well, and defend myself. Then they stopped messing with me and included me as one of them. Guys see strength in a girl as a great quality so they thought of me as one of them after that.” I said and shrugged my shoulders. No one needed to know why I really knew how to fight.

After we finished eating we all got up and decided to walk around the Chasm and see what we could find. Jade and I ended up in the clothing store while Calum split off with some of the guy initiates we ran into.

”These clothes are fantastic but does everything have to be in black?” Jade asked me sighing. I could only imagine how hard it was for her. She was used to having reds and yellows to chose from. Candor’s wore black and white so the all black didn't really bother me.

We looked around at everything and ended up with a pile of clothes in our arms to try on. After trying on a ton of clothes and messing around with Jade we ended up with a ton of new clothes. I had 4 new tops, a skirt, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of super skinny jeans, a dress, and combat boots. As we were walking to “pay”, since they used credits here, Jade found the make up. The girl behind the counter saw us stop and smiled.

”Want me to do your make up?” She said to us as she started walking out from behind the counter. Next thing we knew, our make up was done and we looked like true Dauntless. It was amazing what a little makeup could do for someone.

“That was so much fun! I wonder where Calum went though?” Jade said. I laughed when I saw him and the guys walk out from the tattoo parlor.

”Anyone get a tattoo?” I asked the guys in a teasing manor. All the guys looked down or started making excuses why they didn't. “Such babies.” I said to them shaking my head at them. I walked into the shop with the guys and Jade following right behind.

“Its not like you would get anything.” One of the guys said in a defensive tone.

“Is that a dare?” I said to him with a glint of excitement passing through me. I never backed down from a dare, no matter what.

“Hell yes it is.” He said defensively. I simply smirked at him, turned around and told the pierced and tattooed gentleman walking in the shop “I would like that one please.”

Which is how twenty minutes later I walked out of the tattoo parlor with a lip ring. Oops?

Jade and Calum gave me major props and we all walked down to the room where we would all be staying with the other initiates. I started to put all of my things away when it hit me, this was my new life. My family was gone, my friends, the life I knew was done. This was the start of a new beginning. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, counted to ten and then opened my eyes and put my fear behind me.

I started stripping until I was down to my bra and undies and crawled into my bed to sleep. It wasn’t the comfiest bed I have every slept on but it would do for the time being, until I was a Dauntless citizen.