Another Selection--Chapter 12

Hey guys! This is from Beckett's POV, since I decided it was only fair to start this off with the first love interest I wrote! This is from my first book, so if you haven't read it, it does have minor spoilers!

Beckett's POV

"What is that?" I asked my twin sister as I stood with my arms crossed.

"Probably Mom," she answered as she looked at me awkwardly. "What's wrong with you?"

Shaking my head, I squinted my eyes as I looked down the hall. "Mom said she was going to the Women's room," I reminded as I listened closer.

"You're so weird," she teased lightly pushing me. "Find me whenever you become sane again."

Chuckling lightly at her words, I watched as she walked away, a bounce in her step. Curious, I followed the noise that drifted from the music room, beautifully. Obviously, it wasn't Mother because she was much more talented, although this artist was quite amazing.

The door was left ajar, and, hoping to not bother anyone, I lightly tapped it with my foot, it opening almost full way.

Surprisingly, it wasn't anyone I had seen before, but a girl. Most likely, she was one of the selected.

Between her legs, a cello sat, and her fingers danced with the bow as it slid from string to string. Her eyes were tightly closed, and her lips were pressed together in a thin line, showing me how concentrated she was.

Note after note, beat after beat, she got it all as if she were born to play. Even though I was all right on the piano, I knew that I couldn't play the cello for my life.

At the end of the song, she opened her mouth, and I could tell from that far away that she out of breath.

Opening her eyes, she caught one sight of me, and worry took over her expression as if tears were about to stream.

"Y-y-your majesty!" she squealed in, scared. "I'm so sorry! I was just wandering around and I saw the piano! I couldn't-"

Not being able to handle her worry, I knew that I would have to cut in.

"You're very talented," I thought aloud as I leaned on the doorframe.

"I-what?" she chimed, confused.

Almost laughing, I stared at her more than shocked expression as she studied me. Although I knew that this moment must be more exciting and confusing for her, I couldn't doubt that this was new.

"Playing the cello," I explained to her. "You're amazing."

"Thank you, er, your highness," she stumbled with the formality, blushing at my complement. "Do you play?"

"No. I play piano, since my mother insisted that we learn at least one instrument," I chuckled.

"My mother insisted that I learned instruments, as well. She used be a five, and my dad bought a restaurant. The only difference is that my mother made me learn every instrument in this room," she told me.

I tried to ignore the little gloating that iced her voice, and the fact that it was a little weird to mention that about her parents, as I said, "Wow. That master taken forever. That takes real talent."

Smiling at my phrase, she told me, "Thank you. . . your highness."

Laughing at her lack of etiquette training, I asked, "Would you be willing to play me another song?"

Considering my request, she raised an eyebrow, biting her bottom lip. "I guess," she started. "But it would come with a fee?"

"Hmmm. . .What kind of fee?"

The idea was laughable that she would ask me for anything, actually, although I guessed many girls would do that here.

Maybe Noah was right about them. . .

"You would have to play a song for me on the piano," she answered, smiling weakly.

"You," I started, about to say a great line. Embarrassingly, I realized that this girl was nameless to me, ruining what I was going to say. "I never did get your name."

"Amelia Waters," she spoke, not even hesitating.

"Ah, yes. Anyways, you, Amelia Waters, drive a hard bargain, but I accept," I finally agreed. "Only rule: you have to go first."

Then, I would be able to leave whenever she was done.

Rolling her eyes, she nodded as she began to play.

During the song, my mind drifted elsewhere, and it was like I had forgotten where I was. I had for green that I was with a girl that wasn't my best friend.

And by the end, I knew that she wasn't going to let me go because a look of determination settled in her eyes.

Bewildered by the ending, I clapped slowly, saying, "That was- you are- I can't-"

Giggling at my loss for words, she looked up at me hopefully. "You're extremely talented. Please come here whenever you like".

"Thank you," she beamed as she watched me thoughtfully.

"Well supper should be ready by now," I commented, trying. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"Wait real quick!" she ordered. "We had a deal! A song for a song! Pay up."

Sighing, I knew I lost whenever I found my seat on the piano stool. "Fine. You win."

Stretching my fingers, I laid them carefully down on the keys, not looking up at the press because I knew them by heart. So many times before, I had played this song for my sisters and for Kile and for. . . Noah. How sad is it that I may have lost her?

Trying to shake away those thoughts, I concentrated on the notes, my hands lightly shaking. Finishing it off quickly, I turned back as I hoped that she didn't notice my passion that was unneeded.

"Ha! Now I have the master stunned!" I floated as she sat there, speechless.

"I have to admit, your highness," she teased. "You're quite average, which is much better than I expected."

"I'll take that as a complement," I settled as I stood up. "Well than, Amelia, it's seems that we are late. I hope to see your tomorrow."

Not knowing why, I saw her as she jumped up, turning her back to me. "Goodbye," she called as she ran from the room.

Even now, I could tell that she wasn't so bad, and there were going to be girls just like her here. In the end, I would find my wife.

But that girl...I