Another Chosen--Noah

Another Chosen
Noah's POV

Christmas was always that time of year when Beckett and Olivia and I would be at our worst. Between searching for hidden presents throughout the palace and trying to get the funniest present for one another, we were tearing up fancy decorations and knocking over palatial Christmas trees. But this year, everything would be different.

Of course Beckett wouldn't be acting like a three year old when there were selected--now elite--here. He would be civil, although he never was, and would act like a gentleman, although he never did.

I didn't know what exactly to say to him. For one, it wasn't like I could just act like nothing could happen. He broke my heart. I had visited his room a few times and passed him in the hall, but they were all such fake meetings. Nothing like the real us.

I sometimes regretted the fact that he had pursued me. Maybe I should've pushed him away. Maybe I should fought harder. The fact was that are so called friendship was ruined.

"Hi."

Shaking my head to leave my thoughts, I looked up from my sketch pad. A boy.

"Hello?" I asked, confused.

He wasn't smiling, but looking awkwardly as the ground. Or maybe it was my feet. Either way, he didn't look me in the eye.

"Who are you...?" my voice trailed as I watched him with confusion.

He cleared his throat. "I'm... I'm Samuel Waters."

Waters. The surname was so familiar that it made me stomach clench. Waters.

"As in Amelia Waters?" I questioned.

He nodded hesitantly. His hair was smooth under the lights of the hall, and he smiled a little as he said, "Do you know her?"

I clenched my jaw. "Of course," I said. "Who doesn't know Lady Amelia? The prince's favorite."

I spat the last part out like a sour grape, desperate to forget that part of the last couple months.

"Oh," he said awkwardly, sensing my hatred. Amelia was so kind towards me, but even I could tell that she loathed me as much as I hated her. Of course I was a good actress when it came to such things, so she most likely hadn't noticed my feelings...

"Do you want something?" I asked shortly as I laid down my drawing pencil.

He shook his head. "I mean... I just wanted to... say hi."

Hi? That was a perfect reason to bring up Amelia! Yes, and to make me go nearly insane as I watched him nervously fiddle with his hands.

"Well, hi," I snapped.

He furrowed his brow. "Do you want me to go? Because I--"

"Lady Noah!"

I turned uncomfortably on my seat to see who was calling my name. A guard. "Yes?"

"Prince Beckett asked for your presence."

I sighed before standing up. With a defeated smile at the boy, I straightened my shirt (I hated dresses) and grabbed my notepad.

Samuel, wanting to be a gentleman, also leaned down to help. In the most embarrassing manner, our heads bumped, sending us both taking a few steps back.

"Sorry," he said as he laughed lightly.

A giggle escaped my throat as I shook my head. "It's totally fine."

He chuckled as he handed me the drawing pad and pencil. "I'll see you later?"

I was about to reply when I decided against it. Smiling a little, I turned to the guard. "Tell Beckett that I have other matters to attend to."

The guard nodded solemnly and rounded the corner, each step precise. Samuel, next to me, stood, his jaw agape.

"Did you just...?"

I laughed. "Not for you," I teased. "I want to go to the garden and draw."

He blushed a little, embarrassed by his mistake. "Oh-"

"I'm only kidding," I assured as I walked next to him. "Do you care if I call you Sam?"

He smiled a bit. "I like that."

I smiled as I laced my arm through his, like I had been taught for many years before. He stiffened a little at my light touch, but didn't pull away as we walked.

"Do you normally stay here?" he asked.

I shrugged. "About once a month or so. My mom's on a business trip, you see, so I'm staying here for a while."

"Oh?" He said. "Who's your mother?"

I bit my lip. "Kriss Ambers."

By his expression, I could tell that he didn't recognize the name, which was surprising. Almost everyone knew my mother's name, the girl who's heart was broken by the prince. Ah, just like mine.

I wondered if Maxon taught his son to ruin my emotions, like he did to mother. Of course she eventually moved on, but she never married, never fell in love again. Was that the life I was destined to live?

"She was in Queen America's selection," he recalled after a moment.

"Yes," I said. "America... Queen America and my mother are very close now."

He nodded, but I could tell what he was thinking-- how could they be friends after competing for the prince? I honestly didn't know, but most of the selected were.

I sighed as I stopped immediately. "That reminds me," I said. "My mother should be calling me soon; she only gets to call on Sunday's."

He gave me a sympathetic smile. "I guess I should get going then..."

I smiled at him for a moment, watching as he turned around. And almost tripped over the side of a statue.

"I'm okay!" he announced as he regained balance, looking back at me.

A laugh left my mouth as I shook my head at him. "Bye!" I called as he disappeared.

~~~~~~~~

NOAH AND SAM! Yay! Okay, so I kind of ship them even though I kind of hated them while I wrote this... but he's kind of adorable. Noah? Yeah, I still kind of hate her...

Can we talk about how I'm an updating machine? No? Oh. Anyway, I'm kind of loving writing Another Heir. Like all of those boys and Novalee and Analisa and... 😍

Okay! So comment your thoughts and tell me, how do you like the new Wattpad update on the app? I find it confusing to be honest...