Chapter Three

When Phil heard Dan say that he couldn't wait much longer, he broke off his brisk walk and starting running. He didn't know what he meant be much longer. He could've been trying to kill himself at that moment.

"No," Phil said gently. "You can't cut."

Dan was silent. Phil heard him moving things around in the background.

"Dan?" he asked, his voice filling with panic. 

There was more silence on the line, except for what seemed like the sound of a drawer opening. Dan's breathing was even and evident. 

"Please answer me," Phil pleaded. He was running as fast as he could. "I'm almost home. Just--please."

The brunette didn't respond. Phil heard more rustling as his friend said nothing. And then he heard a sob. Dan held his breath and whimpered in pain. The older one saw their flat complex just a block away. He pushed rapidly through the people on the pavement. 

"Stop it," Phil said calmly. 

Dan let out another whimper.

"Stop..." the black-haired one mumbled into the phone, but Dan did it again. And again. And again. 

By the time Phil got up to their flat and opened the door, he found Dan knelt over on the floor with a kitchen knife in his hand and four cuts on his right wrist. His phone was lying on the breakfast bar. Phil grabbed the younger one under his arms and yanked him up off of the floor. Dan's face was twisted in a look of pain, his face damp from tears. Phil pulled the knife out of his hand and placed it on the counter. It was covered in blood. He pulled Dan over to the couch and sat him down. 

"I'm sorry," Dan said.

Phil sat down next to him and pulled him into his lap, letting Dan's head rest on his chest. "Why did you do it?" he asked, applying pressure to his friend's wrist with his jacket. The cuts weren't too deep this time. The amount of scars on Dan's arms made Phil feel sick.

"You have my blood all over your clothes."

Phil sighed. It wasn't a nice thought. "It's fine. As long as you're okay, it doesn't matter."

Dan said nothing in return, but instead buried his face on his friend's chest.

"You were doing so well," the older commented, "What happened?"

"I don't know," came the muffled response.

Phil ran his hand through the brunette hair that was lying on his chest. "I'm sleeping in your bed tonight," he mumbled, kissing the top of Dan's head.