Chapter Seven

Dan walked into the flat and dropped his bags on the hardwood floor. He didn't say anything-- he walked over to Phil and entered his best friend's arms silently. His forehead resting on Phil's shoulder, Dan sighed.

"I'm sorry, but I had to," Phil whispered. "I know. I know that you hate me for not letting you do it and that you'd much rather be dead right now, but I couldn't let you do it. And your neck..." he trailed off.

Dan felt his friend's warm breath on his neck, sending chills all over his body.

Phil turned his head and kissed Dan's neck softly. The tingling sensation in Dan's body was dulled by the light, feathery lips on him. He hated having his neck touched, so why was he enjoying it so much? Why wasn't he stopping Phil as he trailed his kisses down the front of his neck? Dan could barely keep his thoughts straight. Why was his friend, supposedly straight, kissing him?

The brunette lifted his head off of Phil's shoulder in an instant and looked down at the man with blue eyes standing before him.

"Do you know how much I love you?" Dan blurted out.

Phil tried to hide his confusion. "What?"

"I love you. I love you so much," he repeated. Dan stared into his eyes as if he was in a trance, half smiling. He pushed a few strands of black hair out of Phil's face so that he could see his eyes. "You did save me, Phil. I didn't want to be saved."

"I'm sorry-" Phil started, resting his arms on the taller one's arms.

"You practically babysit me. You went through my bag while I was asleep. You stopped me from dying that first time, but if you didn't, you wouldn't have had to go through all of this. You put up with so much from me," Dan continued, his fingertips lightly tracing Phil's jaw now. "You keep saving me, when I'd much rather be dead." Then the brunette laughed bitterly. "But I have so many other ways of ending my life other than by something cutting off my air from my-" he pulled his fingertips down to Phil's neck, "-neck," he breathed out.

"No," Phil whispered. The familiar look of fear was swimming in his blue eyes.

"But how could I ever? I need to be with you," he stated. Then Dan tilted his head down again. It was his turn to plant feathery kisses on Phil's neck. "I am so in love with you."

Phil put his hand on the back of Dan's head as he kissed him. He pulled the top of Phil's shirt down and kissed his collarbones.

"What're you doing?" asked the ebony-haired one. He couldn't ignore that fact that his heart was beating quickly.

"Loving you," Dan muttered, then tilting his head upward to kiss Phil.

Phil kissed him back. He didn't know why, but it felt right.

Dan pulled away. "You love me?"

"Dan-"

"Do you?"

"Yes."

"Then tell me. I need to know."

"I love you."

Dan pushed his lips back on Phil's. It was like two pieces of a puzzle coming together.