Chapter Four

Dan and Phil had gone to sleep that night like they had the first two weeks after the incident. Spooning, Dan's arms being held in Phil's hands, Phil waiting for Dan to fall asleep first just to make sure that he was safe; it was all the same.

When Phil woke up, he didn't move an inch. By his friend's rhythmic breaths hitting the back of his neck, he knew that he was still sleeping. He'd spent so many hours just watching Dan angelically sleep, after all. Phil felt the brunette's long legs pressed against his, his bare chest pressed against his back, the warmth generating throughout his entire body. Dan's wrists lie either side Phil's head with Phil's head resting on the left one. The scars made pale lines on the male's tan arms. Phil counted each scar, feeling more and more sick with each one he saw. 

He thought of how many times Dan must've locked himself away and wanted out of his own life. He had the want to stop smiling, to stop breathing, to stop living. Phil now thought of how Dan wanted to remove himself from everyone's life. Phil's life, his family's lives, his subscriber's lives, his friends' lives. He must've hated himself a lot, Phil realised. It would take a lot of hatred within himself to hurt so many people in the process of him leaving. Each time that Dan cut, he gave into that hatred within himself. He always talked about the itching. It was a feeling under his skin that oozed with pain and sorrow, and by cutting, Dan was letting it out of his system. 

Phil didn't know what it was like to hurt that badly.

He laid in that exact spot for what seemed like another two hours before he felt Dan's chest move up and his ribcage dig into the older one's back. Phil slowly sat up, wanting to make sure that his friend wasn't still asleep. Dan's eyes were open but tired, the cinnamon colour catching in the light of a new day. The black-haired one managed to smile gently despite the hurt he felt inside from counting the scars, and in return, the corners of Dan's mouth turned up at him. Phil's heart soared.

They'd made it through another night.

_________________

Sorry for the short chapter! It's short because I think it had really good content and described Dan more so that maybe you, the reader, could understand a little better. I don't know. Let me know what you think. :)