How to go Home

"The portal. Made from chiseled quartz and a gold outline. When lit it shines blue. Or white. I don't remember. It's been a while since I saw it lit. But mark my words, I will get the portal to light once more, and I will get home, once and for all. I'm never going on a stupid adventure or saying a word to Jesse ever again. It's caused me enough trouble." Aiden set down his quill and closed his journal.
    He looked around at his dirt shack that had been made just a few hours ago. It was small, dirty (literally), and it was far better than being locked in a tiny room.
    Aiden knew he'd done so many things wrong, he understands why his friends left him, but he was still mad about it. He hadn't been this alone in years, and he hated it.
    He set the book down on his crafting table and lied down on the grass. He left a small hole in the ceiling so he could look at something, not just brown dirt, packed together. He looked out at the stars and watched them move across the sky until he fell asleep.

    As the morning light shone through he rubbed his eyes and sat up. He looked around and saw that he was inside a house. He squinted his eyes, confused about where he was. Until he remembered he had built this house. He had forgotten how long it's been. He forgot a lot of things that happened since the others left. But he remembered when they told him he couldn't leave. Though, it was all a blur.
    Everything was a blur. Aiden's head pounded and he closed his eyes. He started to drift to sleep until he suddenly heard a note block play. He opened his eyes and got out of bed. He remembered he had the note block to wake him up. He walked to the end of his house and saw the unlit portal. He had replaced the blocks behind the portal with a hallway of his journals. It was made from blue wool and lapis. He had been gifted soul lanterns from a friend he'd made. He told himself to go visit that friend later today.
    He walked into the hallway and looked over at the books. He took out the latest one and began to write.
    "I'm tired and my head hurts, but I will search for something. I will also visit my friend. I seem to have forgotten their name."
    He set the book back into the item frame. He wouldn't write much. He'd lost his love for writing after having no time for it.
    He walked outside and climbed up the stairs, greeted by the village of the people that had clearly never built anything in their life before. Which was fair, because they'd lived in the sky most of their life, he couldn't blame them.
    He walked up to his friend's house, his eyes desperate to close and he knocked on the door. There was no response. He knocked again. And then he remembered.
    His friend's name was Savannah. They loved to travel to the nether. And one day, they had never come back.
    Aiden took his hand back and felt his stomach drop. [is that the right term uh-] He turned away from the door and headed back home. He sat on his bed. He took the journal and started to write again, as tears ran down his face.
    "I forgot they didn't come back. I will try to remember that next time."
    He lied down and held the journal close to his chest. He couldn't remember what they looked like. What a damn shame. He shook his head. He had work to do. He needed to light the portal. He needed to find the light blue flint and steel, or something to replace it. He knew finding the one Jesse used would be impossible, Jesse had taken it with him. But Aiden knew the guards that had lit the portal once more had a flint and steel that shone dark blue, so Aiden knew there would be some sort of way to light it again. He just didn't know how. And he couldn't go up and steal the one's the guards had, he knew they could kill him if they wanted. And no matter how tempting it was to steal it, he had a home to live for.
    He had Lukas to live for. As stupid as he thought that was. As much as he hated the thought of Lukas, he wanted to see him one more day.
    Aiden stood up and walked to the door. He hesitated then grabbed his bag and tossed it across his shoulder and walked out the door.
    People had begun to wake up now, and the small town was now filled with people gathering resources, talking, and crafting. They all looked so happy which darkly contrasted with Aiden.
    He reached the center of the town, approaching a small house made from simple oak and cobble. He knocked on the door.
    When the boy opened the door, he closed it right after seeing Aiden.
    "Wait! Please just listen!" Aiden realized how rough his voice sounded. He hadn't spoken out loud in days.
    "We're not giving you the flint and steel! You can go die alone for what you've done." Said the boy.
    Aiden sighed and turned away. He couldn't blame them. The things he did were unforgivable.
    He closed his eyes and told himself to think about something else.
    He could think about Lukas.
    Aiden opened his eyes and looked around. No matter how many times he searched the town, and talked to the people, no one trusted him, and no one would give him any direction.
    "Except Savannah." Aiden whispered to himself.
    He walked back home.