one - backstory

it was an angry night, the sunset had just disappeared and you were left with nothing but the audible stimulation of the hard rain that poured from the invisible yet dark clouds. you looked up towards the sky with closed eyes, water droplets hitting your face.

this wasn't a regular night, this night was filled with dread, anger, loss. your best friend, the guy you had grown up with, had just lost his father and you were trying your best to comfort him.

he was a sobbing mess, clinging onto you like he was going to lose you too. your arms were wrapped around his shoulders as you let him cry all the pain from his heart out into the crook of your neck. you could feel the pain he was feeling as if what had just happened to him was happening to you, it broke your heart hearing the agonizing sobs that left his body.

you looked back down, no rain hitting your face though it didn't matter considering the fact you two were both drenched in rain water.

he was helplessly explaining to you what had happened with both his father and the knights of favonious just moments ago, the dissapointment he must've felt once recieving a slap against the wrist from the people who were supposed to help him was insane. the people he was meant to trust.

it poured, and it poured, and it poured from the sky. his body was shaking, and so was yours but not for the same reasons. yeah you were freezing, yeah you were probably going to get sick but did you care? absolutely not. all you cared about right now was being here for diluc.

as his sobs calmed down after what felt like hours - and probably were hours - of them matching the aggression of the rain, he let go of you yet still remained close to you. he was looking at the ground, unable to meet your gaze as you looked at his pale face. you could feel something being drained out of his soul, a part of him disappearing by the minute.

you moved your hand towards his face to move the wet bangs that stuck to his forehead, before it was met with diluc's own hand moving your palm to be pressed against his cheek as he held it there almost melting into your touch.

his eyes closed once again as you rubbed your thumb over the path his tears ran down on. his back was slouched over and his shoulders were low. he looked exhausted, and he had the red eyebags that proved it.

you never wanted to leave this moment, you were glad you never got rid of this memory from your brain though it haunted you most nights to this day.

the both of you were hard workers, justice driven people, and thats what made you two become such great friends. you made an oath to each other to keep one another protected, safe. the two of you wore a necklace with a silver ring on it, hiding it under your clothes so it could be something only the two of you knew about. it was something special for the both of you.

you were inseparable, going everywhere together, sharing stories, trusting each other. though, this relationship soon enough changed. unfortunately for the worst.

you comfort yourself with words like, "all things must come to an end, there is a higher power that has a plan for us" but you were only kidding yourself. you were never one to believe in gods, some would call you a heathen though you preferred not to discuss it.

there was nothing that could undo the fatal incident that had happened between you two. or was there?

🔺🔻🔺

a/n: hi! thank you for reading the pilot! i promise the chapters won't be this short in the future, this was just to clear up the backstory between you and diluc.
if you could comment and/or like this chapter, i would greatly appreciate it :)